Membrane on the back of ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
In an ongoing discussion with my brother he swears removing the membrane from the back of ribs is an essential step to great ribs.

I have NOT made a boat load of ribs in my day but normally will leave the membrane.

Does it make a difference to the cooking of the ribs or just nicer when you eat them as the membrane has been removed?

I agree with your brother.

I don't like the paper texture to the bone side, and it blocks the
smoke absorbtion from that side too. Pull it off, it don't take as long
as you think.

I always remove the membrane...ALWAYS. As The guy from amazingribs.com said...the membrane is like a condom that keeps the flavor off the backside of the ribs. :D

Most people here remove the membrane...unless you are dong a huge cater job or something... ;)

Check out the Ribs Round Table podcast...lots of good rib tips (pun intended) in that show! 8)

I disagree. Membrane on for me. Then I finish the ribs over charcoal while saucing (last 30 minutes of cook). This helps to kind of "melt" the membrane off. It's called a Cleveland finish and it's made a few rib burners pretty famous.

Tim

CarolinaQue said:
I disagree. Membrane on for me. Then I finish the ribs over charcoal while saucing (last 30 minutes of cook). This helps to kind of "melt" the membrane off. It's called a Cleveland finish and it's made a few rib burners pretty famous.

Tim

I have to disagree. Membrane over direct heat most times leads to leather/plastic. Not saying yer wrong but I've never seen or tasted a better Rib with a membrane on.

Maybe someone will cook some around me like that and I'll get a try.

Until then I'll be getting a spoon and paper towel and pulling it off.

Thanks for the post tho

Tim,

I burn the membrane off sometimes after the smoke. But not always. Getting a separate grill going is sometimes more ambitious than just pulling the membrane to begin with. Never heard it called a Cleveland finish though.

Lots of event caterers do it as a shortcut. Smoke and refrigerate a bunch of ribs, schlepp them with you and finish them on the grill while the next batch is smoking in the smoker. I believe that's how Billy does it.

Rich

I have made ribs a couple times, with the membrane in tact but did not have the know how I feel like I can use to do it now and now I have a real pit and thermometer.

Next time I am going to remove it and test it out.

Anybody Boil ribs first, just kidding. [smilie=a_yumdumdoodledum.gif]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom