Meat Yield

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
Big Mike just about nailed it! That's why I always add a extra piece of meat to a cater cook. Sure you can be fooled by a butt or brisket on a cater. Whole hog is worse. People think well I have 100 people so I need a 100 pound hog. Then you tell them it's less than 50% yield and they don't understand. (uneducated public) I have never been short on product. (never will be) Thanks for confirming my scale weights too Big Mike. Funny how ribs are sold as a slab or bone's, and not weight? Why is that? Makes no sense to me. But that's barbecue.

Mike, on the brisket. Is the before weight as you bought it and did you trim any fat before the cook? Same with the butts?

Weight loss

Mike, Good info for a cook for pay and a cook that is for your neighbors. Don't want them running around telling everybody that you didn't feed them well. [smilie=a_cry.gif]

I just don't get those #'s. I have never lost 50% or more from a cook. Maybe 30% to 35%.

Are you going from fridge to smoker, or are you letting itoom temp before cooking?

Tim

Mike,

I think your numbers are real. I sell alot of pork and brisket and my yields mimick yours. Sometimes a little higher if the meat has less fat. I've noticed that the meat with more fat obviously will loose more weight.

Al

Mike,

If you want more yield per whole cut, try letting the meat come up to temp for a couple of hours before putting it on the smoker.

I always prep my meat right out of the cooler and then light the smoker off and let the smoker warm up for about 2 hours before the meat goes on. This helps a great deal with shrinkage.

Before the food ninnies scream, it is plenty safe. Been doing it for a few years now and have never had a problem. Besides, if you've ever been in a large volume commercial kitchen, the stuff that happens in there would make your toes curl.

Tim

Mike,

Cold meat put into a hot enviroment will cause the meat fibers to contract. Therefore pushing more moisture out and causing more of a loss in yield. I've gained about 10% to 15% more by doing this.

Tim

Ya know, after re-reading that last explanation, that sounds a bit hard to believe. But that's how it was explained to me. I'll see if I can find a clearer answer and post.

I do know that my yield increased by allowing the meat to warm up for a while before putting it on the smoker. For the same reason why they say to allow a steak to warm up for a bit before grilling it to get a more tender steak I suppose.

Just try it once and see how it does.

Tim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom