Meat temps when done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
At those specified temps. Pork? huh? How many years ago was it? Trichinosis (sp?) has been a non-issue for years. The parasites and bacteria die at those temps, the key is not to let it drop below 140 after it is cooked so they can grow back.

I think you want to move it past 140 on the way up quickly too...or at least not let it hang out in the 140s for a long time...if you take a butt off at 170 internal you will be VERY disappointed with your end result! 190-195 or higher will yield a more tender product.

A lot of those temps are out-dated, I think? :)

I know I am going to the extreme, but when you've been taken to the extreme, pushed over the edge and pulled back up, it's easier to revist.

I'll say!

First, I'm glad she's okay. She is, right?

The temps are outdated as Greg suggests, but they are still commonly quoted--it's the cover-your-ass approach to cooking meat that is still advocated by those who want to be sure they're not blamed if something--however rare--happens.

Moving on: Trichina in pigs (and hence trichinosis in humans) is extremely rare in the US and other developed countries and has been for some time. Regardless, trichina are killed at 137. Because of the MRI results and their subsequent questions, it is likely the doctors suspected neurocysticercosis (although I'm not sure why they'd go there first). Neurocysticercosis is a form of cysticercosis which manifests in the brain or in the central nervous system (cysticercosis manifests outside the intestinal tract) and is caused by a tapeworm from the genus taenia found in pork and beef (the infection, if it manifests in the intestinal tract is called taeniasis). It, like trichinosis, is quite rare in developed countries but, unfortunately, is not rare in undeveloped and developing countries. Poor sanitation, poor waste disposal, poor animal husbandry, etc., keeps it more common elsewhere. Larval cysts in pork and beef that cause these infections are killed by temps of 150 or if frozen for at least 12 hours.

Bacteria are another issue. Bacteria do not reside inside meat, they can grow on the surface at prolonged temps of 40-140 degrees. It is the surface temp of the meat that is the concern when it comes to bacterial issues and bacteria can multiply if the meat is held too long between these temps. The bacteria produce toxins. Though the bacteria will be killed with a subsequent temp rise above 140 the toxins will not be neutralized--even at temps higher than 500.

Caveat: Though this applies to surface conditions it can apply to meat where the interior was formerly the exterior, as in ground beef or other ground meats. It can also apply to where the surface might be pushed into the interior, such as with injecting or cutting slits in a roast to insert herbs or garlic. Proper food handling and procedures (using a cold injection mix, for example) can prevent problems from arising.

I cook steaks to rare--120; lean pork to med-well--147-150, lamb to 126-135 depending on the cut; most fowl 160 breast, 175 thigh.

When I travel in developing countries it's a whole nother thing.[/i]

glad to hear it Alaska.

Seems like I read several years ago that there has been a pork related case of trichinosis in the US for a very long time, maybe since the 70's
That article mentioned that pigs are not being fed much better than they were in the early 19th century, when they were literaly fed garbage.

By the way, we recently had a death here in SC from salmonella. Investigation is pointing to a defective oven that was cooking turkey.
Apparently it didn't cook the meat at the proper temps, and someone died.

"
204 people report symptoms of salmonella poisoning

(Camden) May 26, 2005 - Kershaw County Coroner Johnny Fellers told News 10 Wednesday that 58-year-old James Alredge of Lugoff died from cardiac arrhythmia resulting from complications related to salmonella poisoning.

Alredge ate at the Old South restaurant in Camden last Thursday evening, he had eaten a meal of turkey and dressing, rice, chicken, peas and apple cobbler. The restaurant has voluntarily closed and is cooperating in DHEC's investigation. Investigators now beleive there were problems with the food as far back as last Sunday.

The number of people in Camden reporting food poisoning symptoms has climbed to 204, as of 11:00am Wednesday. A total of 37 people have been hospitalized; 26 at Kershaw County Medical Center, two at Providence Northeast in Columbia, two at Palmetto Health Richland Memorial Hospital in Columbia, one at Providence Hospital in Columbia, two at Carolinas Medical Center in Pineville, N.C., two admissions to Tuomey Regional Medical Center in Sumter, one at the Medical University of South Carolina Hospital in Charleston, one at St. Francis Xavier Hospital in Charleston and one at Carolina Pines Hospital in Hartsville.

The DHEC has issued a statewide advisory due to cases being reported in Rock Hill and Charleston. They tell us they're looking anybody with food poisoning symptoms that ate at the Old South restaurant between Thursday and Sunday. Many of the people who showed symptoms ate at the Camden restaurant over the weekend, and while many are recovering from the symptoms, several people remain hospitalized.

The restaurant, believed to be the source of the outbreak, decided to shut down on Tuesday. Missy Reese with the Department of Health and Environmental Services says it was Old South's call to close its doors, but loyal regulars still consider the place a safe place to eat.

The DHEC is actually investigating several restaurants, but their main focus is reportedly on the Old South restaurant. The establishment serves food buffet style and does have take out. "

Susan Z said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":tl8krq8z]glad to hear it Alaska.

Seems like I read several years ago that there has been a pork related case of trichinosis in the US for a very long time, maybe since the 70's
That article mentioned that pigs are not being fed much better than they were in the early 19th century, when they were literaly fed garbage.

Yeah, but 19th century garbage was purty natural stuff, wasn't it?[/quote:tl8krq8z]

Compost would be a better term!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom