Meat Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Robo, give it time. My butts take 2 hours per pound. I keep my pit at 210*. Briskets 1 1/2 hours per pound for me at 210*. You hit the platau and now is when the magic happens. Sit tight, it will break through and in no time at all you will be eating a great meal!

On edit...the meat temp finished will be 195* - 200*.

Thats when the fat and connective tissue are breaking down. This is whats turning that crappy cut of meat into a little slice of heaven. Your brisket that you did that wasn't cook all the way was probably real tough beside being undercooked. Cooking it all the way will till done will render out all the fat and crap and make it a nice tender morsel of meat. My 8 - 9 lbers. usually take 18 - 20 hours to cook at 210 - 220*. Everybody here will tell you, when it's done, it's done. Are you lifting the lid each time you take the temp? That will slow the cook down big time if your doing that. Most here have remote thermometers that they use to monitor both the pit temp and the meat temp.

RoBo, if I had to guess, looking at your first post and the time it is now, I'd bet 6 hours more until finished. Try raising the pit temp to 230*. And stop lifting the lid!!!! I read some where that each lift of the lid adds approximatly 15 - 20 mins. to the cook!

YUP! Hang in there it will all come together. Like I said, my first butt was 20 hours! With a little practice you will start to enjoy this gig!

Robo-Chachi said:
Thanks. I've learned many things already here. Mainly, never ever start smoking something at 1pm.

Not unless you want to cook through the night. I have a bunch of "friends" left over from the biz that like to hang out and cook all night. We have BBQ and adult beverages for midnight/early morning snacks. My wife is never too happy when they get around. :(

Good Q!

Jack

Jack W. said:
[quote="Robo-Chachi":k7jtx27g]Thanks. I've learned many things already here. Mainly, never ever start smoking something at 1pm.

Not unless you want to cook through the night. I have a bunch of "friends" left over from the biz that like to hang out and cook all night. We have BBQ and adult beverages for midnight/early morning snacks. My wife is never too happy when they get around. :(

Good Q!

Jack[/quote:k7jtx27g]

Yeah...what is it with wifes not understanding food, friends and booze? A combination like that can't get any better!

Jack's wife competes with him! She's very knowledgable about q and comps. They showed up with a pitcher full of margaritas during Smoke on the Beach and hung around my site for an hour or two, drinking and educating me on what to do. It's because of them that I got a ribbon in my first comp.

Captain Morgan said:
Jack's wife competes with him! She's very knowledgable about q and comps. They showed up with a pitcher full of margaritas during Smoke on the Beach and hung around my site for an hour or two, drinking and educating me on what to do. It's because of them that I got a ribbon in my first comp.

You're too kind.

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom