Meat injecting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
I've never injected meat either to cure or to smoke and am wondering if there is a tutorial on here somewhere - I haven't had much luck searching the site - likely operator error. I'd like to know what equipment to use and how to do it - both for curing and smoking. thanks for any help.

big dude,

For the Pastrami recipe I have it says to pump the plates or briskets to 15% of their weight (with the cure). Meat should be placed in curing box or vat and kept submerged while curing in cooler for 3 to 5 day at 40 degrees F.

Here are some pictures

I also have injector a butt with apple juice before. I inject my turkey when I fry it with Cajun Injector.

These are some of the reason I bought the Dial-O-Matic Meat Injector from Wolfe Rub. I know wittdog uses his also.

Be carefull with what you inject...it might leave discoloration in the meat...and when you inject...inject from the side on an angle...no needle marks that way...at least thats what my hype friend says :LOL:

Inject??

I never inject anymore. But, if you do, try injecting the meat right through the cryovac packaging. Make MUCH less of a mess.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Injecting can indeed be a messy proposition. Sometimes it backfires and hits you in the face..shoots across the room and on the ceiling etc. I have had the best luck with the cheap cajun injectors as often comes taped to the sides of the storebought Cajun injection liquid. Been using the same one about 10 years and has outlasted several high dollar models. The how is dependent on whut you aiming to inject. On brisket I lay it flay and inject about every square inch top..bottom and around the sides with the needle at a slant. Ideally you should stick it in the meat and inject as you withdraw the needle. For chicken I like the little plastic squirt bottles with a needle on the end. I just shoot it from everywhere I can reach under the skin (usually inject splits). For butts I do about the same as brisket. Turkeys I just try to hit all the major parts..breastes..legs..thighs etc. Use the slant method and inject as you withdraw. The squirt bottle works good on Turkeys too. Dont work good on brisket or butts cuz the needle is a straight hypo type and gets the needle plugged up. Birds dont get it plugged up for some reason. Hope this helps.

bigwheel

Thanks Bigwheel - that's what I'm looking for, like telling your 10 year old how to do it for the first time. One final question - do you use the same process for curing corned beef and canadian bacon or is it as critical. My main problem is I'm an ex engineer and into specific formulas.

Yeah I just use the brisket method for corned beef. Never made any Canadian Bacon. Now did snag a recipe somewhere for some stuff called Buck Board Bacon but it was mainly a process of rubbing a butt down with TQ then bagging it up and letting it sit in the ice box for a few days. Mine came out closer to country ham flavor. Mighty salty. Didnt much resemble any bacon I ever had. Dont think I would bother with doing it again.

bigwheel

WI20330.jpg

I watched some folks at a competition I was attending use one of these to inject marinade into briskit. This unit injects a fixed amount with each squeeze of the handle, and the amount is adjustable.

link

Thanks - that looks like a serious machine. I've seen similar devices used in some of the videos I've watched. For my next curing project, I think I'll use the injector that came with my turkey fryer then move up to something better from there.

Back
Top Bottom