Maverick Smoker Thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txpgapro

Sous Chef
Got my Maverick ET-73 remote thermometer this week. Started up the pit earlier tonight to check temps. Something must be off. Ashcroft gauges are off about 60* in the vertical and 75* in the horizontal. Can you adjust the Ashcroft gauges? Are these Maverick digitals any good? Do they give correct readings? Are they calabrated already? How do you know? Inquiring mind needs to know!

I would test all 3 and start from there.
If the Ashcrofts have a nut on the back they can be adjusted.

Can test all three in boiling water and then use glass half full of ice filled with cold water, then see if they read 32 degrees.

Jim

I finally gave up on the Maverick and NuTemp. I owned both and had very erratic readings. Shot the lock off my wallet and got Thermpen! Much more expensive, but dead on all the time!

I have never had a problem with the ET-73 and would highly recommend it. I do test both the meat probe and the pit probe prior to every cook and they are dead on everytime!![/list]

Thanx Jim & Larry! I'll test both probes in some boilling water. I didn't find a nut on the back of the Ashcroft's so I may have to replace them. I don't want to think too much when I cooking, takes away from the drinkin'. #-o

GolfGuy,

How long have you had the Ashcrofts. Those are usually very, very accurate thermometers (bit pricey, too) If I was a betting man, I'd check the Maverick's first. IMHO Let us know.

Just checked the Maverick, and both probes read at 211* holding steady in boiling water so they are ok. When i check the pit, the probes were in inches of the Ashcroft stems so I feel they were measured accurately. I've had the pit 4 years. The Ashcroft thermometers are the basic all white face. Any other suggestions or opinions?

Did you or can you test the Ashcrofts? That would be my next step, and if they were accurate, like TexLaw said, you just learned something about your pit.

Remove the Ashcrofts and check them. Also if the the Ashcrofts stems are covered in black crap, clean it off and see how it reads.
Jim

Removed the char from the stems after removing from the pit. Held them in the boiling water also. One gauge is 25* off and the other is 20* off. I wonder if they can be sent back for adjustments? All this time I've been complaining that I couldn't get my vertical unit over 200* and it had been actually at 225* all along. What is the boiling temp of H2O anyway?

It depends on your altitude to know when water will boil, at sea leve; it is 212º but as you get higher that temp comes down.

Jim

Folks, read through this thread, and tell me....is bbq a...

1. Hobby
2. Science
3. Art
4. sickness that deserves some serious medical attention

:!:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom