Lump VS Briquette & Dry VS Soak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JB2228

Assistant Cook
I am a true beginner in to the world of BBQ. I have owned numerous gas grills over the years, and have mastered the art of gas grilling. I recently received a WSM for a gift. I am wondering if anyone has any input on which type of charcoal works best. I bought a bag of kingsford briquettes, and a bag of royal oak lump. Does it really matter which charcoal is used? I know Matchlight is a no no, and lighter fluid is the devil. I have a chimney starter. My real question is their a difference between the way each one will work? Also I have seen people just use dry wood chunks for smoking, and some people soak the chunks, which is the right way to do it? So the short version of the above is:LUMP VS BRIQUETTE ? & DRY VS SOAK? ANY INFO OR OPINIONS WOULD BE WELCOME!!!
THANKS FOR SHARING
SINCERELY
THE ROOKIE 8)

Welcome to the world of bbq. And you start with the hottest topics of all I think. IMHO, kingsford briquets will do you a fine job. They work me anyway. No soak, but use chunks and chips and you will have good eats. Most of all, have fun experimenting, and DONT make it complicated!!

I myself am a lump head. (just ask any one here :LOL: ) As with any pit, cooker, you need to get to know your unit. It just takes time to know what is right for you. There is no right from wrong. It's what works right for you. everyone is diffrent. Make notes, (sounds goofy I know) If you make a killer pork butt, and don't remember what the hell ya did, your lost. Just the abent temp will have a affect on your finished cook. Take your time and have fun. TRUE: it's not the cooker. Just the cook! :D Good Luck on your quest!

Pigs

swampsauce said:
Welcome to the world of bbq. And you start with the hottest topics of all I think. IMHO, kingsford briquets will do you a fine job. They work me anyway. No soak, but use chunks and chips and you will have good eats. Most of all, have fun experimenting, and DONT make it complicated!!

Should be "use chunks NOT chips". Sorry for the typo

Welcome, it's all about experimenting and finding what ya like, like they all said just go a head and have some fun with it. Ohhh and I like to mix it up with the kingsford and the royal oak just depends on what I'm cooking. Good luck to ya JB.

Thanks for all the great advice...it is greatly appreciated. I will keep you all posted on my first smoke session. Thanks again for the advice!!!

I too received a WSM as a gift for christmas and asked the same questions and then some. I have started using kingsford exclusively. I was told lump is good too but rmember it burns hotter. If I'm smoking I use chunks, if i'm grilling on the smokey Joe I'll use a few chips. Like the others said play around with it with everything from different types of fuel, to different types of wood, to water/no water in the pan, vents, and so on and so forth. Keep notes everytime you smoke something so you can reference back and see what you liked best. I actually made my own BBQ log because I didn't like any of the ones I found on the internet and tried to post it up here for others to use if they wanted to but I couldn't get it to post right...have fun!

Hey JB welcome. You getting some great advice here from some real knowledgeable folks. Playing around with it and find out what you and most impotently the Little Bride and the chillins like is half the fun. Happy cooking. Have never heard a bad word uttered about the moochine you are using. If it dont work out its your fault..lol. No excuses allowed. If it comes out real crappy give it to the neighbors. Typical yups will eat a leather boot if it reeks of smoke.

Wow, you guys are the best, I didnt really think I would be getting all these terrific responses. Thank you to everyone who has written these little responses, it means alot and I am very appreciative!!! I am really looking forward to diving into this bbq cooking...If i can do anything for anyone please let me know. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom