Looking for advice: Bar-B-Que Smoker on the cheap.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashyface

Cook
Greets everybody! Ashyface here; FNG. I've been watching JB's Youtube's and decided to jump into the world of smoking Bar-B-Que. I have a Char-Griller Super Pro, but that thing don't work worth a damn. I'm a Po' Boy, and have only 300 bucks to spend on something at least marginally better. I was hoping to get a couple of you boys to throw some suggestions at me. Thank you kindly.

You see, I should have never doubted 'ol JB. He said the same, but I just wanted to put some feelers out there, and get all the wisdom I could. Thank you fella's. Next Friday I shall buy a Smokey Mountain. Perhaps I can get a 22.5 on sale. I can go just a touch over 300, but not much more. Problem-O Solved; appreciate it very much, and thanks for the welcome.

P.S. I started my quest to learn the elusive ways of the Pitt Master this weekend on that acursed Char-Griller Super Pro. Score below:

2 Racks of Beef Ribs - Burnt to a damn crisp
2 Packages of Elgin Sausage - Dry as a bone
1 Beef Brisket - Tasty, but tough

It was an expensive lesson. I shan't repeat it; got to get the proper tools. :)

Well now barring the fervent hope you aint got any comp aspirations, and if I was walking in your moccasins believe I would trudge on over to Academy Sports and snag a Brinkmann Gourmet Electric model. Cost about 70 bucks last I checked. Have yet to bump into any form of flesh which it did not cook well. If you ever get tired of modern conveniences and want to burn some nasty old stinky charcoal..just take out the heating element and lava rocks then drill a few holes in the firepan. Or a handy person could even make a little flapper intake for it. That leave 230 for firewater loco squaws etc. bag o wood chips in case you aint got no trees in your yard. Just my dos Centavos of course. I am good at prioritizing stuff huh?

bigwheel

Thanks bigwheel, but I'm a Charcoal/Wood only kind of guy. I hate modern. If I'm not going to get the good flavor out of meat, then I'd rather not do it at all. My biggest problem--outside of melting fire grates--in the Char-Griller is that it leaks smoke like a sieve. I would rather invest in a good 1500 dollar Horizon Smoker or it's like, but the house that I am currently in won't be my house for more than about another year, and I'm saving money like mad right now. I'll wait to buy an expensive smoker once I build my new house, out on some land in the country. Until then, I'm just trying to learn all I can and get better at this Smoking art. Competitions? Nah, I just want to be the best Pitt Master in my family. :)

Oh, one last question folks; where is the best place to get Grill/Smoker parts online? Do they make a non-coated cast-iron grill plate for the Smokey Mountain? Also, I need to get some replacement fire-racks for my Char-Griller Smoking Pro, as they melted on me. Thanks.

I would not lose any sleep over leaky smoke. There is plently to go around and it helps them little offsets breathe easier. They always could use more air on most occasions. Sorta like my poor girl cousin who had bad asthma.

bigwheel

Ok now, here I go an throw a Monkey Wrench in all you fella's kind advice! I was surfing around, obsessed with leaving no stone unturned in my quest for an affordable, bad-ass, and blood-simple Smoker, and I found these:

http://barrelsmokers.net/

&

http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com/

Now I'm torn. They are so blood-simple, and they both call out to my Redneck blood like a girl named "Kay-Kay" in cutt-offs! Have any of you gents (or ladies, if there are any here) have any experience with either? They are both outside my budget, but...but...ah, hell with it, if they're good I want one, and I want the better of the two. Anyone know any details about them? Thanks in advance.

Just build one. Even if you had to buy a grinder or something you'd come in way under that price tag. Tons of people have them and all love them. You would have gotten a UDS "Ugly Drum Smoker" as your original answer if your budget was $100. There are a few really informative threads about building one for very cheap, just look into the BBQ Pit/Mods section. Or if you have a day to two there is a Monster of a thread of the BBQ Breathren http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

Hey, thanks Justaguy! Unfortunately, I don't have the access to a proper workshop right now, and would prefer to just buy something pre-made. How would you say a really well made UDS compares with the WSM, and of the two I showed you, which one do you like the best; are there any other manufacturers that do a better job than these two? Muchos Gracias!

That part I don't know, I have a WSM but not a drum. I've been wanting one because of all the stuff you hear about them. I don't have a workshop either that's why I've been thinking lately about exactly what tools I'd have to buy to build one. Few guys have both I'm sure they'll chime in soon.

Well, I sent an e-mail to the fella' at BARRELSMOKERS and am awaiting a reply. I was able to get Mr. Richmond from BIGDRUMSMOKERS on the phone, and he was a pleasant enough guy, but boy did he take offense to me calling his smoker a UDS. He tells me it's a BDS by-God, and there is a difference! He doesn't provide a caster option on his, but says you can use paving stones or purchase a caster dolly for pretty cheap to go with it. I'll keep you guys who are interested informed as I collect more information on these two products. Also, I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_pNTgfrhEI and boy would I like to get in touch with this guy. That thing is a work of art in my opinion! :)

BARRELSMOKERS
03.jpg

BIGDRUMSMOKERS
2335standard.jpg

Back
Top Bottom