Looking at this smoker.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boozer

Sous Chef
They are asking $1350, But I'm a pretty good haggler. Apparently it has new tires too. I've only seen the pics and haven't looked at it yet. Any advice? should I go for it?

Attachments

• 01515_ig7PATUsWXp_600x450.jpg
    01515_ig7PATUsWXp_600x450.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 00606_4Ct0HTcJCbA_600x450.jpg
    00606_4Ct0HTcJCbA_600x450.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 00r0r_kAvzjWki03d_600x450.jpg
    00r0r_kAvzjWki03d_600x450.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 300
Booz,

Seems like a lot of money for a thin walled non-insulated homemade smoker. Something you'll have to look at in person. New tires are nice, but the smoker...I don't know.

Ed

Notice the tires and wheels did not get a photo op. I would pass if it was me. Five hundred with free delivery for a good haggler.

Delivery is not a concern for me. When I go to put eyes on it, I will be in my truck or my van. I will be able to tug it home either way, no problem. I work in construction, and I'm used to pulling trailers. I don't think I can talk em down to 500 though. I'm opening my food truck co. in the spring, and I need a trailer smoker to cook with on-site. Also, I need the smoker soon, so i can familiarize myself with it, before I take it to the streets. It has a face that looks like a frog, thats a selling point for me, since it will be on display for customers. Also It's the most cooker for the money that I've been able to find locally. I will go look at it, take some pics of my own, and have some more input later. thanks for the good advice, I at least have a haggling starting point now.

One thing I dont like, looks like the lid has prop rods instead of a counterweight.

Why the 2 chimneys?

How even is the temperature across the grid(s)?

How hard is it to keep the temperature/fire going?

How much fuel will it consume?

Why does the owner/builder want to sell it?

Many, many more questions that I would want answered before I offer more than scrap metal price, but those are a good place to start...

I wouldn't worry too much about those "props" instead of a counterweight. They look like the hydraulic-type that are used on car hatch back doors. I have 2 smokers that use them, and they work very well.

Last edited:
All great questions bob, I will keep them in mind when I talk to the guy tomorrow.
Presumably, the 2 chimneys are aesthetic, I would prefer one larger one opposite side from the firebox, As that is what I am more used to. Might only need to use that one anyway. I also saw your post about the biscuit test, and thought it was a great idea. so I think I will bring some of the type wood that i like to use, biscuits, and my own thermometers to give this thing a quick test run before I consider buying it.

There is also this one. It's a similar style, but obviously brand new. From different people. They want 2700. I've seen a couple of these around town, apparently they sell a lot. the firebox looks pretty small, and right between the hitch and storage boxes though,

Attachments

• 00L0L_4OVuhFfCIfV_600x450.jpg
    00L0L_4OVuhFfCIfV_600x450.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 291
  • 00m0m_hbUmp0BkYAq_600x450.jpg
    00m0m_hbUmp0BkYAq_600x450.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 00x0x_emB9ihBgGwk_600x450.jpg
    00x0x_emB9ihBgGwk_600x450.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 286
  • 00606_4Ct0HTcJCbA_600x450.jpg
    00606_4Ct0HTcJCbA_600x450.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 01212_1DyXryRWWG2_600x450.jpg
    01212_1DyXryRWWG2_600x450.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
I would look at proven designs. Yeah, they will cost more, but in the long run...

This one looks like they were interested in symmetry more than utility. Looks don't matter nearly as much as utility.

Agreed. I keep looking at the firebox location on this one and thinking, that will not be fun to clean out. the grate setup looks weird too. The wife likes this one (cause it's purdy) But she's not the one who has to cook with it. Thanks for the advice, Bob. If it weren't halfway across the country, Id just buy a smoker from you!

I don't thinks so. I assume if it was it would be mentioned in the ad. That would explain the near-side chimney though.

These double smoke stack designs are new to me, The whole principal behind an offset smoker is to draw the smoke and heat across the grill surface.

These look as though the heat would escape to fast or just sit there and just act as a charcoal grill.
Not sure...my 2 cents..........:rolleyes:

These double smoke stack designs are new to me, The whole principal behind an offset smoker is to draw the smoke and heat across the grill surface.

These look as though the heat would escape to fast or just sit there and just act as a charcoal grill.
Not sure...my 2 cents..........:rolleyes:
Yep, exactly.

I almost had a smoker built that could have been a "typical" offset, but with tuning plates, OR, by moving the tuning plates all together and adding another smaller plate, could be converted to a reverse flow. I would have had to completely seal off the stack that wasn't in use (and make sure I got the correct one:confused:), but then I was introduced to the design on my Stump's Smokers MONSTER, so I let that idea die from lack of interest.:cool: AND ordered the Monster.:partyman:

I don't see how the double stacks could work. If in the second model, there are two separate cooking chambers as well as 2 completely separate fireboxes, that could work, but that fire box looks too small to control 2 different cooking chambers.

Just trying to help reduce heartache and needless expenses.;)

Last edited:
Yes that appears to be a not very good location for a firebox. Zero to none of boy big catering/vending types around here cook on site. They bring it with em. Ok to set up a good smellng pit to lead em to believe it was cooked on site maybe. Use the pit to heat it back up. That should work.

Last edited:
Yes that appears to be a not very good location for a firebox. Zero to none of boy big catering/vending types around here cook on site. They bring it with em. Ok to set up a good smellng pit to lead em to believe it was cooked on site maybe. Use the pit to heat it back up. That should work.
Exactly. some of the quick cooks (sausage, wings) will be cooked on site, but this smoker is mostly for show. Although I hope to need the extra cooking capacity, between my char-griller and BGES, I can cook quite a bit of food at home, and save a lot of fuel that way. The best BBQ truck guy in town is retiring, and I hope to fill that space. That's how he does it as well, he's been very helpful, the dude was a schoolteacher before going pro BBQ, and he can't help himself from giving a free lesson with every sammitch! I feel confident about the food, and the business plan, But these big smokers, I have 0 experience with them. The guy I mentioned won't sell his, can't say I blame him It's pretty sweet.

Talk about curb appeal, huh? Hard to drive by this thing without stopping to check it out. I'm not looking to copy this guy though, But a smoker that I can transport and show off will be important.

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 606
I don't thinks so. I assume if it was it would be mentioned in the ad. That would explain the near-side chimney though.

I was thinking if you had to weld in a plate to modify it to a RF to better suit your needs along with chopping off and filling the hole of the far chimney it would be some bargaining power.

Good luck in your adventure!

I thought it looked like both chimneys are equipped with baffles. Either way, that is haggling ammo, great idea! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom