Let's do a brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
As most of you know, I'm a brisket rookie. I've only done 3 or 4, and
never got a product that made me want to do another one. But everyone
raves about em, and we've got a cool weekend, so I'm gonna give it another try.

So lets start...walk me through this step by step over the weekend.

I've got a 7 pound flat with some pretty good looking marbling.
Should I trim the fat cap to a quarter inch? Rub with what? Or marinade?
What wood should I use?

Lets just start with the prep...don't know if I'm gonna put it on tonight or tomorrow.

I've only done 2 myself, i'm sure the pro's will help you on this one.
The first one was good, the second dry as shoe leather :eek:

Good luck though :!:

Cappy, I am probably going to get a lot of ribbing from this response but your worth it.

First of all, I like to leave about 1/8 in fat on. I take off anything more than that.

For the rub, I like the tex/mex combo's. I coat it well and realy rub it into the cracks and crevisis the night before and wrap in plastic wrap and into the fridge.

I use an offset so I start with one chimney of coals and then oak and hickory and cook at 225*.

I usually take the brisket out before I start the smoker to let it come twords the room temp side.

When the smoker is ready, I put a shallow aluminum foil tray under the brisket to catch the juices. That is what I baste with. Fat side up and smoke to 165*. Then I put a sauce (if you want the sauce recipie then drop me a PM) on it and foil (YES I SAID FOIL!) Back on the smoker and bring it up to 195* then let it rest in a small cooler. The temp will continue to rise 5-10*. Then slice and serve.

ok, daughters coming over so I'll rub tonight and cook tomorrow.
I haven't tried this in 3 years, maybe I'm a better q'er now.

Jim don't trim at all until after it's done!!! The only fat I trim from the packers is the "hard" fat, all other fat stays one for moisture. Cut a small corner off to show you the track of the grain, it's easier to find before cooking. Cook fat side UP, between 240-260 (dome temp), foil at 160-165, pull at 190-195 and let rest in a cooler for at least 2 hours and let it cool even more after you unwrap, before slicing. When your ready to slice, scrape the remaining fat off the top, turn the brisket upside down and slice against the grain. One more thing I would suggest is to put it on right out of the fridge, cold and onto a cold cooker and add 10 lit coals and let it come up to temp real slow.

We are doing a brisket and butts tonight. I like the texmex rub Bill talked about, we used the Bragging Rights Brisket (Its a marinade with oil, chipolte peppers with adobe, and Beer (I use Guiness 1/2 can) and about 2TBls of texmex rub blended together) recipe in smoke and spice. When I cook on Buford I put the fat cap up, on the WSM I put the brisket on the bottom rack Fat Cap down.....I don't trim any of the fat unless it's of the hard kind that Larry spoke of. I have foiled and have not foiled.....I don't like to foil at 160* because that is where the magic happens same as with butts.....But I think the key is to let the brisket rest for a long time.

Been doing them Fat side DOWN it works which ever way it is the Cow dont know if its up er down anymore. Last time a put some fat trimmings on the up side with the fat side down kinda Bi-sidexul

Captain I'm doing a 17.5 lb brisket tomorrow. So let see how yours turn out next to my. Good luck! By the way I’m trying my hand at my first set of ribs so wish me luck.

Cap, I also do the 165, then foil as previosly stated and a good long rest...I only use salt, pepper, garlic and onion on mine...

thanks guys. I'm glad this didn't turn in to the fat side up/down debate.
Pics forthcoming. Can't wait to get the smoke rolling!

well I'm at work now. At 5:30 temps were close enough for me to
foil. Pit temp rose a little high during the night, up to 270. Hope that
doesn't dry it out. I'll be home at 10, and it shouldn't be too long
after that before it gets coolered.

Sounds like you've got it under control Cappy.

I like mine served with a thin slice of Vidalia, a sour pickle chip, and some wasabi mayo on a cheap burger bun. Wrap the sammy in wax paper for about 10 minutes to let the bun steam and the innards to get all happy. Serve with a good slaw and some pintos, and you're in Texas(Texans generally don't like wasabi mayo on their brisket).

Good Q!

Jack

sounds good. I'm gonna try it in a variety of ways. Gonna make a thick
bbq sauce, gonna try it plain, sammie and on a plate. 7 pounds of beef
should last all week! The poker boys will get it Tuesday night if it's bad!

Back
Top Bottom