Let's do a brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Captain Morgan said:
sounds good. I'm gonna try it in a variety of ways. Gonna make a thick
bbq sauce, gonna try it plain, sammie and on a plate. 7 pounds of beef
should last all week! The poker boys will get it Tuesday night if it's bad!

You better throw some chicken on, otherwise the boys won't be eating!

Fat cap positioning makes no difference unless you are cooking on an offset where you need to use it as a "heat shield" from the heat rising from below. On a WSM , you already have a heat shield in place! I'm with Larry 1000% on the trimming aspect. All of that fat contributes to the juiciness you will want to save in the foil to pour back over at the end. You will yield alnost two cups or better of great "demi glace" type juice from a brisket. This is not completely released until the brisket "gives up the ghost" between 160-190 degrees and the collagen inside breaks down. This collagen, mixes with the fat on the outside and makes the best au juis you ever had! This is why foiling at 160 is essential. You will know you did it right when you have this brown elixir! It will look like gelatin in the foil after refrigeration. Pure protien (mixed with fat!)

thanks Woodtrophywinner, I put a pan of aluminum foil under to catch it,
and it's looking good. I just got home, temps had dropped under 200 and
the meat's up to 177, so I've still got an hour or two. The drippings smell
wonderful. Anybody mix anything in with there"s, or just sop it on plain?

may have a problem here..Maverick started acting wierd so I took my
thermapen out to check. one part of the brisket was 188, the other end was registering 202!!! Um, I put it in the cooler...is it normal to have that
much differential?

I'm guessing that the skinny end was at 202*? I think you'll be ok just let it rest for a while (couple of hrs).

ok, here she is.....

soo, it was really more tender than I expected....moisture...not bad...

flavor was not what I wanted to get...bark was excellent, but the meat itself still tastes like pot roast to me, unsauced. It'll make some good eating. I notice the smoke ring isn't much, maybe that's where I'm missing the flavor?

Looks good to me Captain. :D

I ran into the same tastless issue with the one I did a while back.

I think I may inject one and see if it adds anything to it next time I do a brisket.

what would happen if you injected to drippings as they were rendering?

That looks really good Cappy, awesome bark :!:

I agree with you on the pot roast thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom