leaky cryovac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
brian j said:
i bought a brisket to use next weekend (9/28-9/29) and found after getting it home that the cryovac leaks. should i cook it this weekend and get another for next weekend?

Nah....I'd keep it and cook it next weekend, how bad can it be :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I would freeze it over the weekend, and the dry age it for 5 or 6 days as it thaws. But that's just me.

I think that leaving it in a punctured cryovac could be a bit of trouble with bacteria clinging to the wet exterior.

Tim

CarolinaQue said:
I would freeze it over the weekend, and the dry age it for 5 or 6 days as it thaws. But that's just me.

I think that leaving it in a punctured cryovac could be a bit of trouble with bacteria clinging to the wet exterior.

Tim

Yep, I am with Tim on this one.

brian j said:
hmmm, what to do what to do??? :scratch

it's a nice brisket... 17 lbs with a nice thick flat. just like my first place brisket last may. :D

make a video of your whole decision process and let us see all the pro's and con's that go into making your final decision.......cook it now or throw it out! :LOL:

Open it up...Any abnormal odor, coloration, slimey'ness?

I'd rinse it with vinegar, then water, and wrap it back up with plastic wrap and paper and refer til you're gunna use it (soon).
Who knows, the tear could've just happened before you grabbed it...maybe not. Ya never know....You know the old saying...

"When it doubt..... Dry freeze it and send it to Scotty".

:LOL:

What ?? Vinegar and water sounds familiar. Where have I heard of that before? Oh crap, I just remembered. :oops:

I do not freeze raw meat. I hit the butcher a couple of times a week to avoid freezing meat.

From http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Wa ... /index.asp

Freezing Meat and Poultry

When meat and poultry are frozen, the water that is a natural component of all meats turns to solid ice crystals. The water expands when it freezes. The sharp-edged crystals push into the surrounding tissue, rupturing the cells. The water that is outside the cell wall freezes first. As it does, it leeches water from inside the cell walls. When it thaws, the original balance does not return to normal. The thawed product will have lost some of its natural springiness. The water released during freezing seeps out of the thawing meat and poultry into the package.

The faster meat and poultry freezes, the smaller the ice crystals will be. Smaller ice crystals will do less damage. Products that are flash-frozen by the manufacturer will have superior quality to fresh products frozen by the consumer.

brian j said:
i just opened it up and it smells like hamburger that has been left in the fridge a day too long. not bad but going bad... so i'm going to cook it tonight.

Neah, save it and cook it at the Oink. It will be JUST FINE. :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom