Last nights ribs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starwalt12

Cook
Decided to do some ribs last night while having my Thursday drinks. So what I did was put them on at 6:30, wrapped them at 10:30, unwrapped them at 11:30, pulled them at 12:00, wrapped them back up and allowed them to rest for about 20 min. They were very good. Now the bad, and maybe I'm wanting what's not possible but......the outside of the ribs is still just a bit to done for me. I'm obviously ok with a great bark, as we all are, but the very outside, and just a little bit, especially towards the ends gets a beef jerky sort of feel. Obviously not as tough as jerky, but just the way it feels. These ribs were still very good.

Change your cooking times a bit. You started 4 hours in the smoke, then 1 hour in foil. I'd try 3 1/2 in smoke and 1 1/2 in foil. See if they come out a little closer to what your expecting. If you really didn't like those, you could send them to me, I have a way of disposing of them!

I usually use a 2-1-1 method because we want the ribs to be tender, but we don't want them to fall off the bone. This will put a crust on them, but not make the ends too dried out. I also cook between 275 - 300 instead of the very low temps.

My personal preference is that the ribs and the cook should both be well sauced. Congratulations on agreeing with my second point, nice pics, thank you for sharing.

Agree with the shorter cooking time. Maybe 2.5, 1.5, 0.5 or until they tear easily. Looks good though. Also, did you add any liquid when you wrapped?

Looks edible from this angle. The problemo as described..and the nekked end bones poking out could only be attributed to cooking them a little too fast. I would vote to try the 250-260 range. Also the obligatory rest in the insulated hot box. At least an hour preferably two or three hours..then back on the fire if your planning to glaze. This is if you have plenty of time of course:)

dledmo said:
My personal preference is that the ribs and the cook should both be well sauced. Congratulations on agreeing with my second point, nice pics, thank you for sharing.
The cook was deffinately well sauced:)

bigwheel said:
Looks edible from this angle. The problemo as described..and the nekked end bones poking out could only be attributed to cooking them a little too fast. I would vote to try the 250-260 range. Also the obligatory rest in the insulated hot box. At least an hour preferably two or three hours..then back on the fire if your planning to glaze. This is if you have plenty of time of course:)

Bigwheel, you say I cooked them too fast and youre suggesting the 250-260. The smoker stayed in the 235-245 range the whole time. I see now that they only had 5.5 hour instead of the "crutch" time of 6 hours but that wouldnt cause the "problemo... I deffinately think ill shorten the initial unwrapped smoke time. I only intended on 3.5 hours but think I may, next time drp it to 2 or 2.5 hours.

starwalt12 said:
bigwheel said:

Bigwheel, you say I cooked them too fast and youre suggesting the 250-260. The smoker stayed in the 235-245 range the whole time. I see now that they only had 5.5 hour instead of the "crutch" time of 6 hours but that wouldnt cause the "problemo... I deffinately think ill shorten the initial unwrapped smoke time. I only intended on 3.5 hours but think I may, next time drp it to 2 or 2.5 hours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom