Last minute call

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay, so Thursday I'm coming home from work, thinking nothing but about Fridays surgery. I get a call from the knuckleheads from the firehouse asking if I can cook some pulled pork for superbowl. Doh, stupid me says yes. So off I go this morning to Costco to pick up butts. I've always cooked shoulders before and these things look like a total different animal. They were boneless so after preping, I rubbed the inside where they had been de-boned and tied them up. Mustard slather and "Renowned Mr. Brown" was rubbed all over. Gonna throw them on around 4:30 - 5:00, hopefully I can have them pulled and in pans by 4:00 tomorrow. I'm going to a different party!

Nick that is exactly why I don't buy butts from Costco! All they sell at least around here is boneless butts!! They'll cook about the same, you'll be fine.

Captain Morgan said:
Wish I was smoking tonight! Prepping tomorrows appetizers, at least I'm doing something with food.

Well got the Brats and burgers from Sams , cleaned the grill/smoker, got the bags of charcole and the chimmney starters positioned , some oak limbs cut ( I use em on everything now , LOL) I figure I will ligh the coals at 330 PM tommorow and commence grilling , I want to be done before the SuperBowl starts , this time I will do pics , if one of yall smarter than me could post em for me if I send em to ya???

I hope your weather was better than the steady wind/rain downpour we had! Today is better : 40 mph gusts with heavy snow! Glad I cooked this stuff Friday!

No Woodweather, we've been real lucky this winter. Rained all last night but I'm undercover where I cook. Zero on the wind! Bruce, we had an above ground pool where that putting green is and when the kids out grew the pool, i told my wife I couldn't cut all the extra lawn when the pool came down so I put in a putting green. BTW, I just took the butts off the smoker and have them resting in a cooler.

Well, all pulled, cleaned up and ready to party.

Starting to pull

This loads for the boys at the firehouse

Total from 6 butts. (Yeah some for me and my buddy)

This was the first time I did butts, usually I do shoulders. These things seem meatier than shoulders and have more outside surface area which = more bark. They were a little bit more work up front with having to tie them together after the butcher de-boned them but there was less fat to cull out of the finished product. This was also my first cook with the new Kingsford, 90% of the bag was used and it didn't last 15 hours. I usually get 20 hours out of a burn with no problems, but this time I had to re-load after 9 hours to make sure I would make it through the night.

Pork in the foodsaver bags looked great. Do those guys like the Mr Browns rub? I get mixed reviews with it because many people think it's too spicy. Of course I'm serving with a vinegar pepper sauce. That doesn't tone the heat down any.

At the firehouse I put my own sauce on it which is sweet. That kills the heat quite a bit or rather gives the nice sweet heat. The foodsavered bags have nothing in them. I gave 1/2 to my buddy and 1/2 for me. He like a vinegar sauce and his wife likes sweet, so I gave them a little of each sauce that they can add as they like. My family likes the sweet and I enjoy Rev. Marv. or my own vinegar sauce.

Nick Prochilo said:
At the firehouse I put my own sauce on it which is sweet. That kills the heat quite a bit or rather gives the nice sweet heat. The foodsavered bags have nothing in them. I gave 1/2 to my buddy and 1/2 for me. He like a vinegar sauce and his wife likes sweet, so I gave them a little of each sauce that they can add as they like. My family likes the sweet and I enjoy Rev. Marv. or my own vinegar sauce.
Looked like they had meat in them to me. 8-[

Finney said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Looked like they had meat in then to me. 8-[

We gotta be talking about different pictures 'cause those bags sure look like they have meat in them.

Griff

Back
Top Bottom