Lamb Shanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteerCrazy

Head Chef
Went to the local butcher this afternoon and they had some Lamb Shanks on $3.99/lb. Was trolling over some old lamb posts but never found a shank recipe. I'm guess some evoo, fresh crushed garlic, rosemary maybe and stick em in the oven?? Anyone do the lamb shanks?? Thanks

Lamb shanks are much better braised than roasted. Don't have any specific recipes but I did try to roast them as you mentioned and they were almost to tough to eat.

Al

Nick Prochilo said:
Griff said:
I like lamb shanks prepared as osso buco. Recipes are all at home.

Griff

Griff, come on buddy, call it a day will ya. Get home and start posting the recipes!!!![/quote]

I can wait for the recipe.....along with the crab puffs...... [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

thanks for the Osso Bucco suggestion, this one is for veal but they suggest that lamb will work as well;

INGREDIENTS:
•1 cup olive oil
•1/2 cup flour
•4 each veal shanks, about 1 1/2-inches thick
•2 cups medium diced white onions
•1 cup medium diced carrots
•1 cup medium diced celery
•2 tablespoons chopped garlic
•3 bay leaves
•2 tablespoons chooped fresh spearmint
•2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
•2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
•1 tablespoons brown sugar
•1 cup red wine
•8 cups rich beef or veal stock
•1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
PREPARATION:
•In a large stock pot or braising pot or chicken fryer, add the olive oil.

•Season the veal shanks with salt and pepper.

•Dredge the veal shanks in the seasoned flour, coating each side completely.

•When the oil is hot, sear the shanks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until very brown on all sides. Remove the shanks and set aside.

•Add the onions to the pan and saute for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and continue to saute for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic, basil, mint, bay leaves, and thyme. Cook for 1 minute.

•Remove the bay leaves, add the brown sugar and carmelize the pans contents for about a minute or two. Deglaze the pan with the red wine, scrapping the bottom to loosen the browned particles. Add the stock. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer.

•Add the shanks and continue to cook for about 2 hours, basting the shanks often, until the meat falls of the bone. Season with salt and pepper. SERVES 4

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom