Kobe Rib Eyes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rib-O-Lator

Assistant Cook
I went to the store to get some rib eyes and found that they had some kobe rib eyes (i know it's american) at $20lb. so i got two good sized ones cost $30 and gave em a new home. i let them set until room temp and seasoned them with kosher salt and pepper then i put them on the ROL at 325 grill temp.

don't get ahead of me! i hear you thinkin! "you can't get sear marks using the ROL" heeerrre's the resttt of the story!

i cooked them until they where 125 internal = medium rare then put them on the grate that i had sitting right on top of the burner to sear.

they looked great. But as far as the taste and texture i give it a 4 out of 10.
they where tough almost like an over cooked filet mignon and it had a weird texture to it. a regular choice rib eye had more flavor. so i was not impressed with it at all.

i know it's not the ROL because i have cooked many great tasting steaks on it.

maybe i should look at the label again, it might "say crap-a instead of kobe"

img_254513_0_12a86762e22fc48154ca6f611312f1ee.jpg

img_254513_1_a2dc79fa2e9b240b7e4e7038e29c88c5.jpg

Fine looking specimines. Sorry to hear they did not meet expectations. Was gonna catch that Kobe on sale one day too.. till the negative report came in. For that kinda bucks I would be tempted to take it back and demand a refund. Or I would prob send the Warden to do it since she is the meanie of the family. Now you got ahead of my learning curve with the ROL. I usually can remember acronyns purty good once somebody splains it. Thanks. What store was it? I will put them on the cutoff list until we get the kinks worked out.

Last edited:
Fine looking specimines. Sorry to hear they did not meet expectations. Was gonna catch that Kobe on sale one day too.. till the negative report came in. For that kinda bucks I would be tempted to take it back and demand a refund. Or I would prob send the Warden to do it since she is the meanie of the family. Now you got ahead of my learning curve with the ROL. I usually can remember acronyns purty good once somebody splains it. Thanks. What store was it? I will put them on the cutoff list until we get the kinks worked out.

top foods/haggens

Hmm never heard of that one. We obviously dont allow them to operate in God's Country because of low quality groceries perhaps.

they are big in seattle. i have never liked their meat or seafood but i thought with kobe they couldn't mess that up.

however with that said about a month ago i did buy a chuck eye from them only because nobody else in town carried it or knew what it was and it was pretty good.

here is a pic of the chuck eye, it was real tasty and tender.

img_254568_0_ef2e083964239240b497084d2dfa29e7.jpg

Yeah I got to get me some good steaks for New Year. Think I may just go get a NY Strip Loin and hack it up....

Yeah but in my area right now, I can get a whole loin almost cheaper than I can get a chuck roast for, yeah I know its weird. NY Loin is like $2.99 a pound, and chuck roast in around $5.99 a pound! Total opposite that what it should be.

Hmmm thats nuts on the pricing. Love chuck when its tender enough to chew. Aint seen whole Ribeyes that cheap in 15 years or so. I would snag it. If we are speaking of the same critter here of course. Winn Dixie used to peddle it for 2.99 in the Choice grade many moons ago. Usually the bone in models.They did screw up and run the boneless models for that price one time. I am supposed to have some bone in Filet Mignons which the boy who is a grocery salesmans gave us over T Day. May have to strike a fire under those. I have never heard of such a thing. What is up with that do you reckon?

These are boneless, but I wish they were bone in, love to make beek stock, and au jus from them there bones. Yeah I can get a whole loin for around $30. Its almost too good to pass up.

I have seen cows recover when brought to 125. Some of these folks is trying to get us to have worms apparently. One fifty works for us rational types.

These are boneless, but I wish they were bone in, love to make beek stock, and au jus from them there bones. Yeah I can get a whole loin for around $30. Its almost too good to pass up.

Max, were did you find the NY strips @ for that price?

That could cover a lot of territory. Any place is right down the road from Kansas or where ever it is you live at. Cut us some slack Max. Thanks.

Smoke knows where I live, we are only really down the road from each other. What used to be Bob's Market in Petersburg.

That could cover a lot of territory. Any place is right down the road from Kansas or where ever it is you live at. Cut us some slack Max. Thanks.

Petersburg- 2 bars
1 gas station
1 market
1 strip joint (someday :rolleyes: )

BW not too many choices :D

Back
Top Bottom