KCBS Chicken turn in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I was reading the KCBS rules a few weeks ago and it said instead of chicken you could turn in cornish game hens. Has anyone done this? I wonder if turning these in would affect your scores one way or another? Any thoughts?

I have seen it, don't recommend it. It's far enough out of the norm that judges have problems giving it a top score, this is my opinion of course.
I am a Rep and judge trainer I do get to see a good over view of how judges score.
Jim

What got me thinking is because I was watching BBQ University one time and he cooked cornish game hens beer can chicken style. He used those small cans of fruit juice and it looked really good!

ddog27 said:
What got me thinking is because I was watching BBQ University one time and he cooked cornish game hens beer can chicken style. He used those small cans of fruit juice and it looked really good!

I've done them like that for dinners at my own house. Short of a nice presentation, I'd rather eat chicken. The judges won't see it on the small juice can, so that's out. If they eat it and are expecting chicken, your taste score will suffer. JMHO!

Sounds reasonable. Do believe I would stick with the thighs. That is generally agreed to be the best part of a chicken other than the liver..gizzard..Preachers nose and them little oysters which hide out along the top of the backbone. Hey I wonder if anybody has ever turned in Preachers Noses on this deal. That prob be a grand prize winner. Everybody loves them thangs. Smart thinking.

bigwheel

brian j said:
bigwheel said:
Sounds reasonable. Do believe I would stick with the thighs. That is generally agreed to be the best part of a chicken other than the liver..gizzard..Preachers nose and them little oysters which hide out along the top of the backbone. Hey I wonder if anybody has ever turned in Preachers Noses on this deal. That prob be a grand prize winner. Everybody loves them thangs. Smart thinking.

bigwheel
i'm familiar with the little oysters, what's a preachers nose? thanks.
Yeah...WTF?

Well the Preacher's Nose..or the Parson's Nose as the limeys call it is whut was called a Pincoushin down at Graham. It the chicken butt thingy that sticks out in the back. Now when we was young whuppersnappers my mama was cutting up and frying chicken..she would religiously cut it off and throw it in the trash for some reason. On the other hand over at my cousins house..they all fought over who was gonna get it. One man's meat is another man's pizzen huh?

bigwheel

brian j said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":1pks5mcq]My grandmother loved them, she called it "the last piece over the fence!"
now that's funny and i don't care who you are. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:[/quote:1pks5mcq]

My grandma was a pretty funny lady! Made the best dang potato pancakes you ever ate!

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="brian j":2n2gco7c][quote="Nick Prochilo":2n2gco7c]My grandmother loved them, she called it "the last piece over the fence!"
now that's funny and i don't care who you are. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:[/quote:2n2gco7c]

My grandma was a pretty funny lady! Made the best dang potato pancakes you ever ate![/quote:2n2gco7c]
Tell me u have the recipe and will be posting it soon.....

wittdog said:
Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="brian j":3e0zncvm][quote="Nick Prochilo":3e0zncvm]My grandmother loved them, she called it "the last piece over the fence!"
now that's funny and i don't care who you are. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My grandma was a pretty funny lady! Made the best dang potato pancakes you ever ate![/quote:3e0zncvm]
Tell me u have the recipe and will be posting it soon.....[/quote:3e0zncvm]

I don't. She took it with her. :cry:

Nick Prochilo said:
wittdog said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":37rldnm3][quote="brian j":37rldnm3][quote="Nick Prochilo":37rldnm3]My grandmother loved them, she called it "the last piece over the fence!"

My grandma was a pretty funny lady! Made the best dang potato pancakes you ever ate![/quote:37rldnm3]
Tell me u have the recipe and will be posting it soon.....[/quote:37rldnm3]

I don't. She took it with her. :cry:[/quote:37rldnm3]
That is one of the worst things...other than loding someone you love...the recipes go with them.....That's why I loved spending time with my grandparents...I'd pump them for all the info...and carry on a family tradition.

wittdog said:
Nick Prochilo said:
wittdog said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":6kzrjll5][quote="brian j":6kzrjll5][quote="Nick Prochilo":6kzrjll5]My grandmother loved them, she called it "the last piece over the fence!"

My grandma was a pretty funny lady! Made the best dang potato pancakes you ever ate!
Tell me u have the recipe and will be posting it soon.....[/quote:6kzrjll5]

I don't. She took it with her. :cry:[/quote:6kzrjll5]
That is one of the worst things...other than loding someone you love...the recipes go with them.....That's why I loved spending time with my grandparents...I'd pump them for all the info...and carry on a family tradition.[/quote:6kzrjll5]

If I knew then what I know now, I would have spent every weekend with both my grandmothers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom