Jerk Tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm no expert here, but what kind of tenderloin is it? Most loins don't have a lot of fat, and a low and slow smoke may not be necessary. I'm thinking grill em with wood chips giving heavy smoke.

Sled, try a handfull of allspice berries in a foil pouch.(buy 'em at Latino or Caribbean markets for next to nothing). The stuff in a jar will bankrupt you.

I'd indirect grill at med to med high heat. They will be done quicker than you think so don't over cook. Pull just after they
pass 145*. Because they are so thin there won't be a whole lot of carry over so I stick them on a 180* oven for 10 min. to finish.

Rob

I agree with Capt. Low and slow isn't really gonna help ya on tenderloins. Hot and fast, they won't take long (around 20 min./lb.). Give them the quarter turn so they get grilled on all sides. Will the weight/rub ratio be affected? Depends, most jerk is pretty strong stuff, if it's the first time you're havin' it maybe it'll be o.k. that you have less rub. Keep in mind you have 50% more meat than the rub calls for. you'll know when you taste 'em if you need more rub next time. I prefer a little pink and moisture in my pork tenderloin, so i'd only take them to 140* tops, then foil tent for 5 min. or so. That should give you another 5-10* in them. As far as smoke goes, maybe try them straight up since it's the first time having the jerk, then you'll know what it tastes like without any other influence. If you want to use the smoke, a mild wood might be nice to enhance the rest of the flavors you have there.

Just my $.02, hope it goes well for ya

Rob

YardBurner said:
Sled, try a handfull of allspice berries in a foil pouch.(buy 'em at Latino or Caribbean markets for next to nothing). The stuff in a jar will bankrupt you.

I'd indirect grill at med to med high heat. They will be done quicker than you think so don't over cook. Pull just after they
pass 145*. Because they are so thin there won't be a whole lot of carry over so I stick them on a 180* oven for 10 min. to finish.

Rob

I use allspice in my brine to give it a jerk flavor. I buy them at the local Italian market for a song!

Try jerking hunks of boneless butt sometime. Marinate in the jerk paste overnight, use allspice berries for smoke (sometimes I use citrus wood as well). Stick a few sweet potatoes in your coals and roast them, turning periodically, till tender. Make up some pineapple salsa. When the pots are tendersplit them, scoop out the flesh and mash it with butter, S and P. Chop the pork. Toast some tortillas to soften. Spread some sweet potatoes on the tortillas, top with pork and salsa, roll/fols as for a burrito. Very tasty.

I just leave it on. I scrape it off after and save it on the side, check it for taste and texture, and mix a little back in, if needed when I chop the pork.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom