It's Wed. morning, and I've got 2 in the smoker!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Im at 9 hours, 45 minutes and the temp. was still around 153F. I had the therm. in the smaller brisket since I figured this one would be done first. (9lb). Then I decide to check the temp of the bigger brisket (12lb.) and it was about 175F.

Only thing I can imagine that caused this was the fact that the bigger brisket was closer to the firebox, but would it of made that much of a difference?

And I just emptied the second 10lb back of royal oak, and Im not done. I guess I'll have to pull out the Cowboy wood charcoal since thats all I have left.

Hmmm.....I dont think I've quite mastered this!

Sounds like the cook is going right on time. Remember you are looking at 1 hr- 1-1/2hr of cooking time per pound. The big one could be at a higher temp because it closer to the firebox. Are you going to foil the Briskets?Every cook is a learning experience, that’s one of the things that makes it so much fun or frustrating. You use what you know and apply it to whatever the present situation is. You might want to run out and get some more charcoal and some more beers. It’s going to take awhile.

Puff said:
Love2<º>< said:
5 hours, 15 minutes and its smells goooooood!!!!

Im on my second bag of royal oak. I didnt see much of a decrease in fuel consumption from last week.
Did you modify the smoker at all?

Yup, I have the lowered chimney and the baffle over the opening from the firebox to the smoke box

wittdog said:
Sounds like the cook is going right on time. Remember you are looking at 1 hr- 1-1/2hr of cooking time per pound. The big one could be at a higher temp because it closer to the firebox. Are you going to foil the Briskets?Every cook is a learning experience, that’s one of the things that makes it so much fun or frustrating. You use what you know and apply it to whatever the present situation is. You might want to run out and get some more charcoal and some more beers. It’s going to take awhile.

Yup, Im foiling. The big one is foiled now, waiting for the small one to heat up enough.

I thought I had Cowboy but its Kingsford charwood. I think that should work.

Love2<º>< said:
Puff said:
[quote="Love2<º><":mxs9gnm3]5 hours, 15 minutes and its smells goooooood!!!!

Im on my second bag of royal oak. I didnt see much of a decrease in fuel consumption from last week.
Did you modify the smoker at all?

Yup, I have the lowered chimney and the baffle over the opening from the firebox to the smoke box[/quote:mxs9gnm3]

FIRE BRICKS :!:
Try lining the chamber with the bricks, I did it and it made a world of difference :!:
I only use half the lump I used before that :!:
They helped hold the temp. steady no matter what kind of weather.
Hey, how about some pics?
Good luck :!:

brian j said:
fire bricks work well. so does a big piece of steel. this is the one that was in my silver smoker when it was setup as an offset. also this is a picture of the charcoal basket i made from expanded steel. instead of welding i used screws and bolts to keep it together.

The charcoal basket is my next project :!:

Puff said:
brian j said:
fire bricks work well. so does a big piece of steel. this is the one that was in my silver smoker when it was setup as an offset. also this is a picture of the charcoal basket i made from expanded steel. instead of welding i used screws and bolts to keep it together.

The charcoal basket is my next project :!:

Puff,
Go behind a grocery store and pick up one of those plastic milk crates. Those work great for charcoal baskets! 8-[

Seriously, some of the old milk crates are made out of metal. I don't know what kind of metal it is or depending on the size of your firebox if it would even fit. But if you could find one of the old metal ones it seems it may work for a ready made charcoal basket. Just a thought.

Man's Best Friend BBQ said:
Not familiar with the minion method. I used a chimney and poured the hot coals on on top of the unlit coals in the firebox.

If I'm not mistaken, that is the minion method. 8-[

You're correct, to a degree. It depends on how many "lit" coals are in the chimney. If you dump a full chimney of unlit coals on top of unlit coals they will all catch and burn very rapidly, therefore giving you much higher temps than you need for BBQ. If you use a smaller amount of coals, anywhere from 5-15 lit onto the unlit they will burn much much lower, slower and give you a very long continuous burn if you adjust your vents properly.

Sorry for the delay. I ate, got tired, and fell asleep. Im about to head to work now so I wont be able to post pictures until I get home tonight. The brisket was just OK. The flat was a little on the dry side compared to last week's brisket. I'll post more later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom