It's Chicken TIME!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ROB O

Senior Cook
Perdue Oven Stuffers 79 cents a pound. I can fit 8 7 lb birds in my WSM.

So..... Here's the questions..

Right now I've got Oak, pecan, apple, maple, alder (nah), grape, and a tiny bit of cherry to smoke with. Lot's of humphey's lump. Plenty of Kingsford. I could get some hickory or mesquite if I needed to.

Generally when I do a big chicken cook I like to pull it and sauce it.

Need to decide. Should I smoke roast it unrubbed?

Or should I rub it and slow cook?

Wood combinations for the above?

Apple w/ a little oak, rubbed and cooked at 300*+ is what I would do
11.gif

I want to know how you're getting 8 7 lb birds on your WSM.. :-k

The Joker said:
I want to know how you're getting 8 7 lb birds on your WSM.. :-k

Remember I'm doing these for pulling so.....

First I press the chickens flat making sure to crack the breast bone. Then I cut them down the middle removing the backbone. Then I stack the halves on the bottom grate sort of like they're ribs going in a rib rack. You can get 3 chickens worth in this way if you're careful. I used metal skewers to keep the halves from falling over.

I used some old bricks I have covered in foil and used these as pillars to support a middle cooking rack. same deal as before. 3 birds. Then I put the top rack on. 2 birds.

Frankly it's an awful lot of chicken and pulling all that meat was a pain in the neck. Don't know if I'm going to do 8 birds this time but if I do I'll take a shot of the "tower".

Thanks.
It was rubbed with a BBQ-4-U.com rub. ( Larry's, Fatz's and mine combined)
The sauce is a mixture of Blues Hog BBQ, Sweet Baby Rays, a little KC Masterpiece and some apple juice.

ScottyDaQ said:
Thanks.
It was rubbed with a BBQ-4-U.com rub. ( Larry's, Fatz's and mine combined)
The sauce is a mixture of Blues Hog BBQ, Sweet Baby Rays, a little KC Masterpiece and some apple juice.

Sounds great Scotty and the thighs look AWESOME!...fyi, you take that rub to market with that name and I'll see you in court, mister!
9.gif
7.gif

8.gif

Just an FYI, I see KC came out with a new sauce, KC Masterpiece CLASSIC.

Looking at the ingredients it has vinegar listed and in the top 3 or 4 and the High Fructose Corn Syrup has dropped to like the third ingredient. I bought a small bottle the other day but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

One of the criticisms of KC as we know it, is that it has gotten away from it's original flavor when it was bought out by the big corporation. The KC we know is not the same that Rich Davis invented. Hopefully this new one might take it back to it's roots a little closer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom