It is done.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
My first BBQ contest is over. It was a great day. We had a blast and met losts of nice people. We ended up finishing in 12th place out of 31 teams. Not to bad for my first time. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

Nicely done ddog. The BBQ folks are the best part of the comps. They are some of the nicest, kindest, and most generous people I have met.

It must have been good Q!

Jack

Thanks guys! Yeah i am hooked now and want to do more competitions now! I think what killed us in this one is that they did not have certified BBQ judges. Instead they had city officials and other VIP's. So we did not think about that factor and did our ribs the way we normally do. I talked to the guy who won and he said he made his sauce sweeter than he has ever done before. Then when he glazed his ribs he also added honey! :eek: :eek: He also cooked his ribs longer than usual so they were falling of the bone. He said the people judging did not know good BBQ so he made it as close to restaurant BBQ as possible. I did not put that much thought into it. I guess I should have. Next year they will have KCBS judges so i think our ribs will score better. At least I hope so!!

A long time ago I was told that sweet beats heat every time. With that said did the winner win because of fall off the bone sweet ribs? You bet he did! That's what the big restaurant business and food network has done to the ignorant barbecue consumer. I or should I say we NEVER order or go out for a steak or barbecue. The reason is we can make it better at home. The only place we eat Q at is Kentucky Greg's. Last year at Oinktoberfest The wife and I judged. There was NO talking while judging , But after you could. Any KCBS judge (one or two per table) thought most of it was substandard. The folk that just wander in and judge look for fall off the bone sweet And never have a clue what ribs or any thing are. And Wish I had a nickel for every time I heard " What's brisket?" They score 9 across the board. :eek:

ddog27 said:
Next year they will have KCBS judges so i think our ribs will score better. At least I hope so!!

Training won't make the game any easier to win. I find that many judges expect "restaurant" style "traditional" BBQ as well. I quit getting my hopes up and started having more fun a couple of years ago. I have gotten serious about box presentation and it has helped greatly. Ribs almost have to fall off of the bone to do well in KCBS or any contest. That's why so many cooks resort to a 3-2-1 cooking format.

Good Q!

Jack

ddog27 said:
My first BBQ contest is over. It was a great day. We had a blast and met losts of nice people. We ended up finishing in 12th place out of 31 teams. Not to bad for my first time. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

Way to go ddog thats not a bad finish at all !!

Sorry dog..I had decided not to say anything more about ePhotoHut when people post pics using them ~ I just wouldn't view the pics or comment about them but, I was so looking forward to seeing yours. Like Griff said, I get a little grumpy when I see the "e" pics..... :badgrin:

But don't mind me..Pretty much everyone else here has no problem with them. :(

Back
Top Bottom