Is natural wood charcoal the same as lump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ROB O

Senior Cook
Hi gang,

I should probably know this by now but.....

Anyway is natural wood charcoal the same as lump? A place near me carries Royal Oak natural wood charcoal and I thought I'd give it a try.

Thanks

Probably called natural to distinguish from wood processed into briquettes like Kingsford. Maybe ?????

Uncle Al

I think if it isn't marked natural, it can be made from scraps from milling plants or lumber yards. I think I read this somewhere.

jminion said:
What would be un-natural wood charcoal?
Jim
on Naked Whiz site they talk about some brands of lump containing lumber scraps ... I think that means like scrap 2x4s and such, maybe mill tailings, sawdust ... geez, I hope it's not plywood or pressure treated :smt108 no company would risk our health by doing that just to make a buck, right? :roll:

Extruded coconut lump obviously doesn't belong in a 'natural hardwood lump' category but I would probably exclude it from a 'natural lump' category because it is processed.

Lump charcoal doesn't mean you can't have crap in the bag. I always check the lump as it comes out of the bag, plywood or anything that looks like it may have had a finish on it means the bag goes back. Royal Oak has been a good clean product can't say the same for Cowboy lump.
I always have lump on hand for the ceramic cookers and high temp cooks on the WSMs. WalMart's Real Flavor is made by Royal Oak and can be a good source, normally a little cheaper also.

Jim

...plywood or anything that looks like it may have had a finish on it means the bag goes back...
Buyer beware if it isn't strictly regulated and monitored by the government, eh?

yeesh, I'm shocked but not suprised

great tip Jim thanks

Carefull with lump or even bricket charcoal some find shit,rocks, mice birds,tar,can't quite remember what else actually i do but don't want to really gross everyone out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom