injector/general injection question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
1.)Guys I have been thinking about getting one of these for a while now and before I spend the money for it I wanted to know what those who had it thought of it and was it worth the money?
2.)Do those of you that use an injection heat/boil and then cool it before injecting it?
3.)What are some general ingredients that you use? For pork I have been using pecah nector, white grape juice, apple juice, and some wuster. For the last briske I did I used a mix of beef broth, beer, white grape juice and wuster.

Thanks

Chris

Chris I have one like that and luv it...as far as the injection...watch what colors you are using and spices.....might want to strain the mixture first..the spices will leave the marks.. ;)

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ said:
Here's the one I use and absolutely love. I can do a case of butts in under 5 minutes.

It's from NoCents BBQ

img_108547_0_52a0cf41f85dd3fa2b6de01706956ee4.jpg
And I thought everything was bigger inTexas :cry:

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ said:
Here's the one I use and absolutely love. I can do a case of butts in under 5 minutes.

It's from NoCents BBQ

img_108611_0_52a0cf41f85dd3fa2b6de01706956ee4.jpg

Man, you can do a lot of things with that [smilie=a_happyhappy.gif]

I use one of the chrome over brass injectors. I used to think it was big, but now I'm feeling ... well ... inadequate.

I cook the injection IFF (if and only if) it needs the heat for specific purpose(s). For instance, my brisket injection uses fresh garlic and a fair bit of butter.

Brisket injection:

1/2 cup double strength beef stick, or 1-1/2 tsp "Better than Buillon" base
1/2 cup drinkable red wine (or 1 cup if using Better than Buillon
2 cloves garlic, crushed or sliced very thin
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/2 tsp Bufalo chipotle hot sauce
1/2 stick well chilled butter -- cut into 4 to 6 pieces
2 tbs truffle oil

Combine stock and wine and garlic, bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer, reduce until wine loses its "wininess" (about 15 minutes); add Worcestershire and hot sauce, simmer another 15 minutes until flavor from garlic is fully absorbed. Remove from heat. Pass through a tea strainer to remove pieces of garlic. Whisk in the butter one piece at a time until fully incorporated, relying on residual heat to melt it. Allow to cool for a few minutes and whisk in the truffle oil.

As you can see, the juju doesn't gel without heat.

But, my usual pork injection is:

3/4 cup grape/mango/peach punch
1/4 cup real maple syrup
1/4 cup bourbon or rum

which requires no cooking.

Dang Boar....that looks mighty tasty and exoctic. How much that truffle oil set a person back these days? Thanks for sharing.

bigwheel

boar_d_laze said:
I use one of the chrome over brass injectors. I used to think it was big, but now I'm feeling ... well ... inadequate.

I cook the injection IFF (if and only if) it needs the heat for specific purpose(s). For instance, my brisket injection uses fresh garlic and a fair bit of butter.

Brisket injection:

1/2 cup double strength beef stick, or 1-1/2 tsp "Better than Buillon" base
1/2 cup drinkable red wine (or 1 cup if using Better than Buillon
2 cloves garlic, crushed or sliced very thin
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/2 tsp Bufalo chipotle hot sauce
1/2 stick well chilled butter -- cut into 4 to 6 pieces
2 tbs truffle oil

Combine stock and wine and garlic, bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer, reduce until wine loses its "wininess" (about 15 minutes); add Worcestershire and hot sauce, simmer another 15 minutes until flavor from garlic is fully absorbed. Remove from heat. Pass through a tea strainer to remove pieces of garlic. Whisk in the butter one piece at a time until fully incorporated, relying on residual heat to melt it. Allow to cool for a few minutes and whisk in the truffle oil.

As you can see, the juju doesn't gel without heat.

But, my usual pork injection is:

3/4 cup grape/mango/peach punch
1/4 cup real maple syrup
1/4 cup bourbon or rum

which requires no cooking.

Trader Joe's truffle oil goes out at about $10 for a 250 cc bottle. Maybe a little more for white, maybe a little less for black. It's probably out of season now, you see it come into the stores in the late fall, early winter. No matter how well stored, it loses intensity over time. But don't let that stop you. Anyway ... store out of the light in a cool place. You can use truffle juice too. It's stronger, better, and a lot more expensive.

The key to using truffle extraction is never let it get too hot. I think it works as an injection because the aromatics can't evaporate completely in the meat, and because you keep it under 200 deg. But that's a guess. At any rate, it lends a very subtle effect that you can't quite identify as truffle, but makes you want to keep eating. The subtlety in this case is a good thing. Truffles tend to take dishes over.

The wine doesn't make the brisket mushy but definitely has a slight tenderizing effect. It doesn't tenderize as much as vinegar, or the enzyme tendrizers like papain aka papin (from papaya -- used in Adolph's tenderizer and Billybones' rubs), or bromic acid aka bromelain aka bromelin (from pineapples), or the others. I think if you're not careful with concentration you might risk some mushiness with the enzymes.

If you want to really fool around, you might try adding one of the commercial phosphate mixes like Phos-Blend or Phos 11-2 and building something along the lines of FAB B. I still haven't tried this, but one of these days I suppose I might.

So far my big thrill is watching the injection shoot out the sides. I gather a lot of you are still at the same "childish delight" stage. Grow up? I think not.

Back
Top Bottom