I'm liking this Chubby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronbeaux50

Head Chef
The weekend is here and time to practice with the new toy. It's ribs today and they are coming along nicely.

img_172889_0_ea5b569f611023a9b5d9c0d7600be65c.jpg

img_172889_1_fda18b329353a02c836621e6b468ab20.jpg

Ok now ya know I love ya..and that is a mighty kewl pit..the boy who invented it from LA so whut could be surprising about that? You got some uneven cooking going on with your stuff and the ribs got too hot that is why the bone is poking out on the end by such a far stretch. It aint grand winning material in other words..them ribs also either got black burned spots or some dummy casting shade on the pic.. Now I happen to camp next door to the best friend of the fella who come up with the idear for a BWS and owned the company. I forget his name right now but he was real nice old boy. He kept expecting the owner of the company to show up at any time but he apparently got a mo betta offer..wink wink. He say they do work according to physics in that they cook hotter on bottom than on top simply from the fact it closer to the fire. It offers a longer time twixt having to shuffle stuff around. Si si? Also keep the ribs bone side up..till it come time to glaze..if you a glazer of course. Im real jealous. Congrats on the acquistion.

bigwheel

Well 'Marble Mouth', I think the ribs look great, ESPECIALLY it being Rons first cook on the Chubby.

Wut you say you posta pikchure or tree uv a cupple o yo cooks n lets see how da Pro's like you does it...... :LOL:

I'm still on step one with this pit. Temp control and temp variance within the pit.

Here are results of what I found to be true so far.

As long as there is water in the pan and the heat diverter is in place it will nail 235 to 270 with no effort and last for about 6.5 hours on one load of regular ole KF charcoal.

The top portion of the box cooks hotter than the bottom near the water pan.

Also it it hotter toward the back wall of the box which is where the heat goes out the stack.

The next set of ribs I do will be placed one rack above the water pan(about 4 inches, with the thickest part of the rib toward the back wall. They will also be cooked face down. This part is new to me because the Stumps likes em cooked face up and in the top.

If any BWS users out there has found different results in this Chubby, I'd like to here it so I can compare notes.

They look good to me Ron! I have a Fatboy and love it. Hook up a DigiQ II Guru to it and you'll have temp variances of less than two degrees. I also hooked up a little water cooler (autofill) outside device to keep the water pan full. When I see the water jug is empty, I know that the water pan is still full and have plenty of time to refill the bottle. Keep that water pan full at all times and you shouldn't have any problems with temp gyrations.

I think once the new Kingsford lump briquettes come out you'll have the perfect fuel for long, steady, burns in your Chubby!

Have fun with it!

Kloset BBQR said:
They look good to me Ron! I have a Fatboy and love it. Hook up a DigiQ II Guru to it and you'll have temp variances of less than two degrees. I also hooked up a little water cooler (autofill) outside device to keep the water pan full. When I see the water jug is empty, I know that the water pan is still full and have plenty of time to refill the bottle. Keep that water pan full at all times and you shouldn't have any problems with temp gyrations.

I think once the new Kingsford lump briquettes come out you'll have the perfect fuel for long, steady, burns in your Chubby!

Have fun with it!

I got 10 bags of Rancher stashed for comps this year until I can travel a couple States over to get more. I too am waiting on the new KF!

I'm also going to fab up an adapter for my Stoker.

BayouChilehead said:
Hey RB, where did you get that cart your chubby is sitting on??

Habour Freight for $79.00

Works like a charm. I just used heavy duty tie wraps to hold it down. That way I can cut them and leave the cart if I want to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom