i think i messed up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

72skylark

Assistant Cook
I decided in my great wisdom to cater a retirement party for 100 people. No problem I've been to culinary school i know i can cook ....just one problem i don't know how to smoke anything but a Marlboro and now i have this great idea of pulled pork so i did some research borrowed an electric brinkman water bullet from a friend who's never used it :shock: any help from some of the experts around here?

Not an expert, but here's what I'd say... how long until you have to have this ready? Can you start cooking yesterday? Electric isn't exactly the popular way to go here, and the brinkmann bullets are small. Considering the hours required per cook, you may already be too late with this size smoker. 100 people?

I suggest a menu change. Why have your first attempt be something that 100 people are eating? Are you being paid to cater this? Either way, your reputation as a culinary school cook is on the line. Might try something for yourself on it, just to see what it takes, but be prepared to serve something else!

Can't help you on the electric part, but you will need to figure 3 - 4 people per pound finished and you will get just over 50% yield. If you are feeding a football team you may need more, the senior center probably less :D If you cooked a little hotter you could probably get done in 10 hours? I'm sure there are better qualified folks here that will post later today.

What Buzz said. You can also smoke for 3-4 hrs then finish in the oven. You'll loose street cred around here but hay you gotta do what you gotta do. You can cook em to 180-190ish cool, foil and reheat a couple of days later. Either way it looks like you have a capacity issue.

You a fortunate young man to have one of them Brinkmann electrics. That is all I use for smoking. Should be great on the butts. I never really maxed mine out but would guess it would prob cook at least four at once maybe six depending on the size etc. Usually a pound of raw meat per person works out good. So if your feeding forty that would be forty pounds of bone in butts. Most of the ones we get seems to average around 7 or 8 pounds each..sometimes 9 lbs.

If you are really in a bind, grill the pork shoulder on high heat to get a nice crisp, and then throw it in the slow cooker for 4 hours with some guiness. After that, drain all the liquid, pull apart and put back into the slow cooker with a nice home made bbq sauce for 3-4 hours. It will be awesome and minimal work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom