I need help cooking chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
have you got a meat thermometer? Worth the investment. That way you'll know when your chicken is perfectly done every time.

Okay, You doing chicken pieces, Or whole? Sounds like your fire is too hot in the first place. Think about it. Would you put a chicken whole or in pieces in a oven that hot for that long? chicken is the most easy thing to cook direct. It also is the most easy to screw up and over cook. Many mops and sauces go up in flames if applied too soon. Leg quarters are a very good learning tool to cooking chicken. Plus there cheap. Work your way up to half's with out drying out the breast meat, Then do a whole one if that's what you like. Beer can chickens are tanked by too hot of a fire also. Captain is right in suggesting a thermometer for reading temps, BUT too hot of a fire will result in a piece of chicken that looks perfect, But will yield bloody bones. Does this make since to any one? Just my .2 cents :)

It's not rocket science, I do my quarters to 160 (thickest part of the thigh) and half's to 140 (in the breast). A nice medium heat will get the job done. Now I know some will scream That's too low, were all going to die! The government recommends 160 for chicken now. After you take it off the grill the internal temp will rise about 20 degrees. Now some may say, You nuts? cook a thigh more than a half? Yes, With a half the heat transfer from the thigh will continue to cook the breast.That will equal the heat and not over cook the breast. All you need is a little time and experience. If you have a some what bloody thigh bone, Toss it in the microwave. The only way you can learn is by DOING. Egad, That's why I hate the Guru. No one wants to take the time to do it RIGHT. It's always a short cut. There is no short cuts to Great barbecue, Let the bashing began. :grin:

Actually, I take my thighs to 170, and my white meat to 160. I think the govt reccomends 180 and 160. For grilled, which I do most often, I like to do a combo of direct and indirect, to get the meat cooked, and then to get the skin crispy. Just my way. I pretty much don't cook white meat parts. Whole chickens, measure the temp in the thickest parts of the thighs. At 170, you probably won't kill anyone, and it will still be juicy.
A little pink around the bones doesn't bother me, but a lot of people will qet queasy about that.

For comps, I smoke my chicken halves for about an hour for flavor, then head for the heat of indirect for about another hour or so. I pull mine when the thigh is 160-170. For the family eats, I smoke for an hour, then mop as I'm grilling, turning the chicken constantly.

I've been doing chick pieces to 170 - 180 usuallu indirect for the most part. Haven't been drying them out and everybody seems happy. But yes, get an instant read therm and you won't go wrong.

I like smoking my chicken parts. They get a merinade over night and a good sprinkle of rub about two hours before the smoke then 2 hours in the smoke and one with some Q sauce and in a foil pan for 1 hour till 170'. Works well for me.

Chicken is pretty easy and fun. Brine your whole chicken overnight or parts about 2 - 3 hours in your favorite solution. Season with a good rub, I've found Head Country to be quite good. I'm sure there are plenty of good rubs made by the members of this forum. Let your rub rehydrate for a couple of hours and get kind of pasty looking. Cook at 325 (I like the higher temp to keep the pink off of the bone) for a couple of hours. Get a good instant read thermometer and cook until the internal temp reaches 165 in the thickest part of the meat. I ususally check in the joint of the leg quarter for a whole bird. I don't care much for sauce, but a good sweet sauce with a citrus undertone is always a good bet on chicken. Glaze a couple of times for about 15 minutes and let your chicken set a few minutes before serving. Works for me.

Good Q!

Jack

Smoke, I did the roadside chicken recipe on this forum this weekend, and I was really surprised how good it was! Plus, it's easy, and fun to play with (lots of flipping).

Captain Morgan said:
Smoke, I did the roadside chicken recipe on this forum this weekend, and I was really surprised how good it was! Plus, it's easy, and fun to play with (lots of flipping).

I've done this recipe a few times since it has been posted here. It's a definate keeper. Bought some frozen B/S breasts from Wally, marinated in the vinegar solution for about 2 hours and grilled basting frequently. Company loved them. Ran slap out.

Good Q!

Jack

Captain Morgan said:
Plus, it's easy, and fun to play with (lots of flipping).
Flipping what? Idiots?? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:eek:mm: :eek:mm: :eek:mm: :eek:mm: :eek:mm: :eek:mm: :eek:mm: :eek:mm:

Jack W. said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":3mfp0u08]Smoke, I did the roadside chicken recipe on this forum this weekend, and I was really surprised how good it was! Plus, it's easy, and fun to play with (lots of flipping).

I've done this recipe a few times since it has been posted here. It's a definate keeper. Bought some frozen B/S breasts from Wally, marinated in the vinegar solution for about 2 hours and grilled basting frequently. Company loved them. Ran slap out.

Good Q!

Jack[/quote:3mfp0u08]

Man I just can't remember the last time I cooked b/s breasts. The skin is my favorite part. It's a contrast in texture thing with me. Now, lot's of wimmen and chilruns won't eat the dark meat. And that's fine wit me, cause they's mo thighs fo me. No idea why I'm talking like this...guess the ghost of bigwheel got to me!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom