How would you rate this box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
How would you rate this box. I had my mom do the greens because I hate that crap. Since the box came out so good IMO I told her the she and my buddy Erick are going to take care of the boxes. I also had her do most of the grilling because I dont know if ill have time to do it at new holland. The chicken was marinated in itailan dressing, then rubbed down with some of my rub. And at the end it was brushed with some of my bbq sauce. I think this is some of the best chicken that has come off the kettle.

p1010139wr5.jpg

Chris, can you give us a larger pic? That looks much better but I would try to get the pieces oriented all the same way and equally space them a little more. Also, if that's bbq sauce on the lettuce on the right, they will take off for that and if it's a red tip lettuce, I believe it's illegal. Chicken looks pretty darned good!

The Joker said:
Chris, can you give us a larger pic? That looks much better but I would try to get the pieces oriented all the same way and equally space them a little more. Also, if that's bbq sauce on the lettuce on the right, they will take off for that and if it's a red tip lettuce, I believe it's illegal. Chicken looks pretty darned good!

Thanks for the comments. That is green leaf lettuce with bbq sauce on it so ill make sure that is off.

Thanks
Chris

Chris, while your chicken is no doubt greeat tasting, as a comp turn in box I'd give it a 7. BBQ sauce on the lettuce; the parsley in the center of the box gives it a cluttered look; the pieces are not uniformly cooked, some even look a little burnt/charred; and strive for uniformity of size when it comes to the individual pieces.

The sauce on the lettuce is a big no-no.

For what-ever reason, I find the parsley in the center distracting. My eyes seem to focus on it.

The char on the chicken doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I look for it. I don't think grilled chicken can taste as good without it. Where the problem comes in with it in this box is 3 pieces are obviously darker tha the other 3 and the arrangement only draws attention to that fact.

light light
dark light
dark dark

try them

light dark
dark light
light dark

But over all, I like the way the chicken looks. The box is good... you are looking for great... (we all are).
You are going to hurt some big boys at NH.

Chris, I'd give it a 6, the starting point.

The lettuce is ragged around the box and there is a lot of lettuce and parsley. This takes away from the look of the meat. The lettuce should frame the meat not overpower or detract from the look of the meat. My team has a tendency of over garnishing. Before turning in the box clean up every bit of sauce, pieces of bark or any other debris off everything, neatness counts.

You need to be careful of the "char" look on chicken, if it's not even or a little to dark you may be whacked by a judge who thinks it's burnt. They shouldn't judge "burnt" on appearance but some do, just be careful.

The prettiest boxes have the chicken matched up better by size and fit in more evenly.

We start selecting the chicken when we prep them then everything we do along the way we keep separating the nicer pieces and when turn in time comes around we hope to have at least 10 nice pieces to select from . We then use a small foil pan and match the pieces together according to size and how they fit together.

I hope this helps but then again chicken is my worst category.

Thanks guys. I see what you mean. There were 19 pieces cooked next time Ill try to keep the best pieces on one side of the grill. Ill also take care of the sausce on the lettue and the over cluttering of the greens.
Rich your site is great. I have got a lot of ideas on how I want the meat presented by looking at your pics.

Thanks
Chris

That looks great! I agree with the guys on maybe a little less greenage and more uniformity overall. I have never been to a comp but I love garnishing and trying to make the food look pretty. It's true that people see the food almost as much as they taste it.

I agree with the "over garnishing" comments. Char is not an issue though. Try to make certain it is consistant though.

Well I aint never stooped so far as to attend one of them wet lettuce events but I would not think you would want the parsley or curly endive or whutever that stuff is to be covering up part of the meat. Just trying to figger all the angles here. I get the warden to critque it for only five bucks. Wimmen is very artsy fartsy about that kinda stuff ya know? Heard of some at the Kansas City Royal who fly in special plating ladies from New Yawk City etc. Now is that sick or whut? Not sure there is any hope for yankees.

bigwheel

Woodman said:
I agree with the "over garnishing" comments. Char is not an issue though. Try to make certain it is consistant though.

Back
Top Bottom