How to cut your own country style ribs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
I think the same way as always. Between the bones.. I'll read up on it...Where did you get them?

Just slice the butts up about 1 to 1 1/2" thick. That give you whut passes for country style ribs around these parts on most occasions.

bigwheel

CWR said:
I've got a couple of leftover boneless butts that I would like to try some contry style ribs with, andyone have advice on the proper way to cut them?

Thanks,

"Country style ribs" can mean a lot of things depending on regional tradition. In most parts of the country (sorry, can't help myself), it means cuts taken from where the blade end of the loin meets the shoulder. To take ribs, the butcher typically saws through a half frozen blade end with a band saw.

You're taking yours from a boned-out butt -- so all the way into the top of the shoulder with no blade or arm bone.

The cutting you're going to do is called "steaking." Of course Bigwheel is right about the thickness.

Lay your butts out and determine grain direction (if you can't see it) by pressing your thumb lightly into the butt and running your thumb, with a little pressure across the meat from end to end. Do it both ways and you'll see little channels of grain open. You're going to be cutting across the grain. If necessary to get "ribs" the size you want, cut the butt in half (with the grain). Steak your meat in 1" - 1-1/2" strips across the grain.

If you have a selection of tools, the best knife for the purpose is a "cimiter," followed by a butchers, chef's and slicer (in that order). I'd use my 12" chef's which is the knife on the far left of my avatar.

That you "steaked" the pork doesn't mean you shouldn't cook it low and slow. But (butt?) because you cut in fairly thin pieces across the grain, you actually can cook over direct heat. FWIW, you'll take more tender "shoulder chops" if you cut about thinner, 1/2" to 3/4" and do a little pounding.

To understand why you cut across the grain to steak or chop, imagine a long bundle of fibers, like a thick rope. It's not easy to cut, hack, or saw through braided cable. But once the cuts been made, it's easy to separate the fibers. So with meat, we let the knife cut across the grain and our teeth separate the fibers. Doing it the other way is tougher. (Still can't help myself.)

Hope this helps,
Rich

Back
Top Bottom