How much meat should I cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
My son's 1st birthday party is at the end of the month. My wife has about 30 people invited. I'm planning on smoking spares and either pulled pork or brisket. I'm leaning towards the pork since that is usually more forgiving than the beef, and I dont want to ruin it for everyone.

So, how much per person do you guys usually cook? I dont expect all 30 people so I just need a per person amount.

Oh yea, Im making hot dogs too for the kiddos.

Thanks.

If you went with 2 , -- 8lb butts that would give you 16lbs. Figure 1/2 of that will be cooked weight (8lbs). 8lbs of pulled pork will feed roughly 32 people at 1/4 lb. per person. If your doin dawgs too and dont expect the 30 people your sittin pretty. ;)

oh and Id go 2 ribs per person.

I vote for a pound of meat per adult eater based on the raw weight on either butts or briskets. For spare ribs half a rack per adult eater works for me. Now if you are planning on having both ribs and butts guessing you could half those amounts. Meaning about 2 nice sized butts and 3 or 4 racks of ribs. You can always make up some dawggy bags from the leftovers and pass em out for door prizes. Folks just love to take some good bbq home with em.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom