How many butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
How many butts can go on one WSM? I have 6 to cook tomorrow and wanted to do them on one WSM. Will this increase the cooking time? Thanks for any help.

I put 6 on and just rotated and flipped them around half way. They did take a bit longer for me at least.

Yeppers it will and the ones of the bottom rack will block off the heat to the ones on the top and the ones on top will block off the ones on the bottom so their aint no bounce back from the lid thang going on there. Might want to consider coughing up another R2D2 here. You might could do 3 at once. I would put the one by itself on top. Now maybe you could arrange em sideways and get 4 or there. Most of the ones we get is sorta square and blocky. As long as you had a little leeway around the edges of the meat might work with 4..aint never tried it. Watch that water pan..you is gonna have some copious amounts of greasy water to dump on the begonias.

bigwheel

Bill The Grill Guy said:
How many butts can go on one WSM? I have 6 to cook tomorrow and wanted to do them on one WSM. I would try to
Will this increase the cooking time? Thanks for any help.

Thanks fellers. I think I will go with 3 and 3 each. Looks like the girls will be getting fired up in the morning.

I've done 6 shoulders with no problems. I stand them up like a teepee with a little roll of foil between them where the bones come together to hold them apart. Additional cook time wasn't hardly a factor.

Nick Prochilo said:
bigwheel said:
Ok now give us your daffyntion of a shoulder here? Thanks.

bigwheel

The piece that connects to the butt.

That's the picnic, both the picnic and butt equal a whole shoulder.

I've also cooked six butts with no problem, but I didn't flip or anything, just let them cook and I believe they took around 20 hours.

I too have done 6 at one time. They were boneless from Costco each weighed around 7 1/2 lbs. Took a bit longer to come up to temp but then took around the same time to cook as two usually do, around 18 hours. I run a Guru so there was plenty of room for all the grease in the foiled only water pan.

Al

Bill The Grill Guy said:
How many butts can go on one WSM? I have 6 to cook tomorrow and wanted to do them on one WSM. Will this increase the cooking time? Thanks for any help.

Most I have ever done is 4 one one WSM , but were there is a will there is a way!!!

I have cooked 6 butts with zero problems myself on a bullet. It took about 24 hrs for me to get thm finished.

Well, I followed you folks advise. Got 2 WSM's cranked up this morning and have 3 butts on each. I put the larger ones on the bottom and 2 smaller ones on the top.

I decided to give Swine Syndicate rub a test run. Smells great and havent used it on butts as of yet. Its great on Chicken ;) .

Welcome to Weberville

Bill,

I would have put the larger butt (longer cook time) on the top where the temp is a little higher. That way they will all be done around the same time.

Al

Uncle Al said:
Bill,

I would have put the larger butt (longer cook time) on the top where the temp is a little higher. That way they will all be done around the same time.

Al

NOW you tell me. :oops:

All are between 167 and 173. Just foiled and back on the cooker. I needed to rush this one a bit. Ran the WSM's at 270-280*.

The Swine Syndicate rub is great on the pork. I cant wait to try it on ribs in a couple of weeks. Wish it would have sat on them over night before smoking but didnt have the time. It did make great bark. Sorry about not getting these out last night. Here are the finished pics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom