How many BTU's Should I have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

relativehelp

Assistant Cook
Hello,
I am buying a new barbaque to finish up my back yard, I am considering a weber but I am not sure
how many BTU's I should get, I thought the recommended amount was about 200 BTU's per square inch of
surface, but I read here http://www.helpandinformation.com/artic ... grill.html that I only need around 100, would this be enough or should I go for the "man" overkill?

I would get one that get so hot it be skerry. Ruth Crisp Steakhouse claim to cook at 1500 F. That should work.

bigwhel

If it were me, I wouldn't go the gas grill rout. I have a very expensive 5 burner grill sitting at the side of my house covered with a tarp. The damn thing melted the back out of a burner and almost caught the house on fire.

After that incident, I went with a charcoal grill and learned how good BBQ can rally taste with some practice. Now I have a Weber Performer, a Chaney split drum grill, a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain and a family that looks forward to dinner every night. That gas burner almost blowing up was the best thing that happened.

"F" the BTU's. How many burners will you need? The manufacturers have the BTU part figured out. It's also better to go bigger then smaller, you can always just light the burners you will need for a particular cook. Is this your first grill? Gas works fine if you don't buy a cheap unit. I have both gas and charcoal and use both with no problems with either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom