How far up the tree ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find the outter wood and smaller wood/branches give off more smoke then the big stuff or the centers...( I soak my dried wood for smoking ).

The grain and fiber of branches and the outter part of wood seems to have a less dense consistancy which takes in water better.

If the heart/center of bigger wood seems to emit more smoke it's probably because it's still holding a lot of it's sap..(which I don't find as good for cooking) it can make a food very bitter. DRY, DRY, DRY WOOD is best.....then soak it in water....LOL!

I try to use small branch type stuff for smoking...it dries out/seasons quicker ......... I have some big hickory (25"-30" diameter) almost ayear old that I haven't split up yet, and still looks way too green to burn.....prolly won't be usable till NEXT summer.

I burn between 20-30 fireplace size logs during a normal 'long' cook, that's a lot of branches. If you typically burn chunks I don't think it matters, wood is wood.

I am going to take down a non producing pecan tree. has about 8 ft of trunk. Some of the main limbs are at least 30 ft long. I figure 3" and up is going in the wsm.

I just use the smaller limbs, 3" diameter and under about 2' long, for starting the fire in the barrel. They come in handy to bring the temps up quickly if they have fallen during the cook. I will also use a bit of tree bark to add some flavor during the last half hour or so. I think it adds a bit more flavor. I use about 6" to about 12" diam logs during the main part of my cooks to hold the temps steady. I have beeen using a lot of White Oak lately.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom