How do you handle your hot coals "on the road"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
I use something like this...

That pic is from Amazon, and it's a Steve Raichlen deal, which
means you're gonna pay about 10 bucks more than it's worth.
The one I have is even better designed..instead of two handles on the
side, it has a single metal handle that locks down the lid when lifted.

Do what Woodman does.
Just leave the door to the firebox open and drive off :LOL:

A guy in Colorado a few years ago drove off with hot coals in the firebox of his offset, started 17 fires along the highway, can't imagine what the fine must have been.

jminion said:
A guy in Colorado a few years ago drove off with hot coals in the firebox of his offset, started 17 fires along the highway, can't imagine what the fine must have been.
Woody and I were joking about it. I don't think he'd ever really do it ;)

The top 1/3 rd of a 55 gallon drum, including the lid.

Any ash, hot coals and still burning wood go in the drum, the lid goes on and is tightened down, you get to sift through what's left when you have been home a day, and pull out any charcoal that was formed in the sealed drum. ;)

Mitch said:
It sounds like mine. It has a bale that locks down the lid...but it came from the farm store.
I've got a similar one, smaller though (just right for a WSM). Be aware that a galvanized bucket will get hot in a heartbeat when you dump burning charcoal into it. ("Larry - what's that round, black patch in the lawn?") :roll:

Well I tried to post this once already but think I forget to hit send or something. Anyway I drag my fire out into a #2 washtub and cover it with water. When it has quit guggling and churning I go dump it behind a tree or you can bag it up and throw it in the dumpster. Back before the dumb welder got a hold of it to do the slide out racks..I could just shut the door and it would go out voluntarily. My door got warped a little.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom