Hot stuff & wet rubs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DATsBBQ

Head Chef
The plan was to make burrittos. Then I discovered that I was out of hotsauce. Not wanting to drive 40 minutes to the store I elected to make my own.

Took a can of jalapenos, about a third of a onion cut into chunks, one dried habernero pepper, one peeled tomato cut into chunks and tossed it all into the blender then added a dash of salt, dash of chipotle powder, one clove of garlic and a guess about a tbls of olive oil. Turned on the blender till the mixure for about a minute. Transfer that to a pan, brought to a boil then simmered for 5 minutes and let cool.

The result was a tangy sauce but the color didn't bring anything to the party. :eek:

Would this potion make for a good wet rub?

I've decided to sell the house, buy a Roadtrek and live in a supermarket parkinglot. Figure that the pull behind pit that will come with the Roadtrek will distract the storemanagers and they won't notice an RV in thier lot :grin:

Look at the tax break you would get. This is what I have on hand right now.
3- McIlhenny regular 5 oz size
3- McIlhenny chipotle 5 oz size
2- McIlhenny habanero 2 oz size
6- Trappey's bull Louisiana hot sauce 6 oz size
8- Red Rooster 6 oz size
3- Frank's red hot 23 oz size
1- Trappey's jalapeno 6 oz size
2- Tiger sauce 5oz size
1- Bufalo chipotle 5.8 oz size
1-Bufalo picante clasica 5.8 oz size
1- Bufalo jalapeno 5.5 oz size
2- Texas Pete 4.5 oz size
1- Pickapeppa sauce 5.oz size
1- Iguana gold hab sauce 5 oz size
1- Melinda's Extra Hot 5 oz size
1- GOYA Salsita sauce 8 oz size
1- Arriba Tomatillo Pepper sauce 5.5 oz size
1- Dinosaur Garlic Chipotle sauce 5 oz size
1- Snake Bite 6 oz size
1- Bell-View Hot Sauce 10 oz size
2- Sriracha Sauce 17 oz size
I think that's it. No running to the store for me. :grin:

I envy your pantry!

Back to the question:

Will a wet rub add more heat to a butt or chuck than a dry rub using the plastic wrap in the fridge overnight method.

Wife wouldn't use my a sauce, I thought it hotter than say Franks, but couln't hold a candle to Dave's Insanity.

jshively said:
DATsBBQ said:
I envy your pantry!

Back to the question:

Will a wet rub add more heat to a butt or chuck than a dry rub using the plastic wrap in the fridge overnight method.

Wife wouldn't use my a sauce, I thought it hotter than say Franks, but couln't hold a candle to Dave's Insanity.

Inject the butt with the wet rub.

Dave's Insanity is ok but there are so many hotters ones out there. A couple I own I am scared out of my mind to even try them.

I use's Dave Temporary Insanity in my wing sauce. It adds a nice balance.

I still haven't opened my bottle of "You Can't Handle This Hot Sauce"- 225,000 SU... or Dave's Ultimate Insanity - 250,000 SU.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I can take the heat, just not that kind of heat! :eek: [-X

You have Snake Bite... That's up there too. I have a bottle at work to use for Taco Bar Fridays.
My favorite all around is Blair's Original Death. I just put that on tortilla chips.

Snake Bite is about where I draw the line, any thing else seems to loose the pepper flavor when you get up there in SU for me. Thought I was going to pass out one time with Blair's original, guess I'm a wimp, but BOY HOWDY did that light me up and blow the top of my head off! :eek: :grin:

gordo said:
Nice collection! you have my favorite on the list...Franks.. =D>

Thanks. Ya know Franks has changed, about two years ago they came out with
'hotter and extra hot' I think based on public sales they bastardized the
original. You cant buy the hotter or extra hot any more.

Frank's

thanks Pig's,

i buy this by the gallon at Sam's and my son and i live with it, i got a bottle of extra hot wing sauce in the cabinet, been there for 2 years. anyone want to trade for something else?

Franks is good. Grew up useing that stuff. Good flavor but no heat, at least to me. I keep several bottles in the house of all kinds but tabasco is one I keep reaching for. There is a place in Gatlinburg called the Pepper Palace that sells literally hundreds of sauces. Ifin you ever go there, check that place out.

:eek:fftop:
Remember the question about using homemade hotsauce as a wet rub? Closest thing to an answer was to inject it #-o Can't do that due to my aversion to needles :eek:
So in the spirit of the board I :badpoke: on this thread 8-[

Back
Top Bottom