Hot dog Chili - "contest"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary in VA

Head Chef
A client of mine (in architecture, not catering) asked me if i would be interested in joining him next friday at his office for a lunchtime hot dog chili "contest"... this is a chance for me to also meet the "big boss"

so... I am thinking... how about a Smoked Brisket Chipotle hot dog chili

chop the brisket fine... add some chipotles in adobo sauce, maybe some tomato paste and water to cool it down a bit... along with whatever spices needed for the right flavor...

how does that sound for a hot dog chili? any suggestions?

Trim as much fat from the point, then grind and then cook like you just said. Not sure how a stringy texture would go with on a hot dog.

Add chopped up canned tomatoes (drained), sauteed onions and CUMIN.
Try a little cumin at a time till the right taste id there.

well.... the "contest" was more of .... come meet the big guy and bring chili to impress the staff with your cooking abilities... LOL...

anyway... here is what I did

I pulled some sliced brisket out of the freezer... cut the fat off of 8 large strips... about 1 lb worth... and pulsed it in the food processor till it was "fine chopped"

Put it in a pot with ...
2 cans crushed tomatoes that I pureed
1 small can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce that I pureed
added some chipotle powder
added some tabasco chipotle sauce
added about 2 tablespoons brown sugar
some cattlemans bbq sauce

heated it up and it was goood... and ya know.. I ate 3 dogs with that chili on it and that was the last I "heard" (tasted) of it... (which surprized me)... it was good... a little on the spicey side but not overpowering... I was happy with the first attempt

Back
Top Bottom