Homemade Pineapple Habanero jelly..Results and Recipe posted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
Last weekend I bought two fresh pineapples at Costco's because I wanted to make pineapple habranero jelly for a rib glaze. I've made jelly before but not anytime recently and I have never made pepper jelly. I used 5 habranero in the recipe. The leftovers in the pot tasted pretty good. I hope it set up. It boiled ALL over the stove while I was getting a 1/2 teaspoon of butter to keep it from foaming. I lost about a jars worth. It took longer to clean that mess up than it did to make the puree and the jelly. Here are some pictures.

Soryy about the messy counter.

cleglue I love pepper Jelly I have been buying them at texaspepperJelly but now the pepper plants are taking off I could use a pepper jelly recipes are a book on how to make jelly anything would help.

Thanks for you help,
Missing Link

I actually found two recipes online. I'll post them later. I changed one of them to make this batch. Tomorrow I'll see if it set. I think it has already. Sometimes it takes a week or so I'm told, but my jelly has always set pretty quick when using pectin. On the pepper jelly I used a liquid pectin from Walmart Ball brand.

Shawn W.,

I actually read your recipe on another site and have it as an URL here. I didn't use vinegar in mine does that make a difference in the taste?

I opened the half fill Pineapple Habanero Jelly I made this morning and used as a glaze on half of the ribs I smoked today. It tasted pretty good. Not too hot but definitely not to mild. My father-in-law said it is too hot for him.

Here is the way I did it.

3 cups juice (two fully ripe pineapples0
5 Habanero peppers
6 ½ cups sugar, measure in a separate bowl
½ teaspoon butter
2 (3 ounces) envelopes Ball liquid Pectin (The recipe I change used Certo)

I chunked the two pineapples and took the green tops off the 5 Habanero peppers and ran the through the food processor. The mixture was very pureed. I place in the refrigerator overnight because it was late when I got started. In the morning I simmered the mixture for about 20 minutes. Then I strained the mixture through a jelly bag using one of those funnel strainers. I gently squeezed the bag after the juice quit coming out of the strainer. I got about 5 ½ cups of juice. You only need three.

I poured the mixture in a pot and added the 6 ½ cups of sugar. You need to add the butter at this time to keep it from foaming too much. I waited too late trying to get the ½ teaspoon of butter and about a cup of the syrup boil all over the stove. When the mixture begins to boils and can’t be stirred down add the 2 envelopes of Pectin. When it boils again where it can’t be stirred down start timing for one minute. Pour into hot clean jars and seal with the lid and ring. I processed in a canner as required. I processed for 10 minutes.

In times past I only turned the hot jars upside down for a little while then turned them right side up and most every jar sealed fine with processing the jars in a canner.

Here is the URL of the recipe I slightly changed to make Pineapple Habanero Jelly

http://www.recipezaar.com/133862

I also read this one

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc ... 3930042223

Finney said:
That jelly looks and sounds great. I wish I wasn't so lazy. Sounds like a good Saturday project if I ever have a free Sat.
You kill your wife and you'll have all the free Saturdays you want. 8-[

cleglue said:
Shawn W.,

I actually read your recipe on another site and have it as an URL here. I didn't use vinegar in mine does that make a difference in the taste?

Probably ... it sounds weird but the jelly doesn't taste vinegary ... I don't know why it's in the recipe, these are the only jellies I've ever made so I just assumed vinegar was in the recipe to make it gel.

I like the sound of your recipe and thanks for the butter tip.

Shawn,

I had 2 1/2 cups of juice let so I decided to make another batch. I added a 1/2 cup of pineapple juice (no sugar added), I wanted to see what putting littlle pieces of habanero pepper would do so I pour a little of the liquid into the food processor added one habanero and pureed it. I used it to make another batch. I was a little hotter but still not overpowering. I had it on two pieces of toast this morning. It had very fine pieces of habanero in the finished product. The first batch had no pepper pieces because I had stained it out. Both batches came out well.

Back
Top Bottom