Holding pork butts overnight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedWings

Assistant Cook
Plan on doing a few butts tomorrow. They'll probably be done about 9-11pm tomorrow night. Later than I'm going to feel like pulling them. We plan on pulling them on Sunday morning/early afternoon.

So what is the best way to store them overnight?

Tinfoil, towels, and cooler method? Think that would be fine for 8-9 hours?

Throw them in the fridge?

Double wrap in foil. Put newspapers on bottom of cooler, drop in butts and add more newspapers on top. Cover cooler and go to sleep.

Dittos to the guy with the large flappy bosoms. I do not believe in dirtying up laundry on these type ordeals. Folded up newspaper top and bottom. Use thick styrofoam as opposed to plastic or metal. Omaha Steak shipping box works great. Try to keep them in a single pile. Hot butts love company. Duct tape the seam and dont peek. Keep it in the house and cover with a blanket or quilt just to make yourself feel better about it.

8 or 9 hrs after they're done cooking? Seems like alot of "stuff" might happen in that said cooler over night. :shock:

They were ready to come off the smoker at 8. So I'll let them sit a while and pull before I go to bed.

Ok..as long as Nick and Puff agrees I am comfortable with whutever it is you are intending to contemplate:)

I agree plus if you figger they going in the hot box at close to 200 or so would seem a natural sterilizing process to me. Closed environment I think it would take a long time for any bugs to colonize the operation and even then it would start on the surface and have to work its way inside the meat. Assuming a person leave the butts whole etc. I might start getting nervous after a week or so:)

Nick Prochilo said:
Wrapping them in newspaper will hold them real close to 140 for quite a few hours.
It's the restaurant thing Nick. It haunts me in my sleep.
If it was me cooking at home I guess I'd let her cook in the cooler. No guessing....I would let it ferment in the cooler because I would forget about it till morning anyhow. :mrgreen: Serv Safe.............I've had to document cooling temps for the HD.
Wheeler please excuse my Government instructed views. You know about those right? ;)

Ahhh...heard of the G'men causing troubles for poor old evil doers. Look what happened to John Dillinger. All he did was go to the movies when Melvin Purvis blasted him with a Tommy Gun. It just aint fair.

Puff said:
8 or 9 hrs after they're done cooking? Seems like alot of "stuff" might happen in that said cooler over night. :shock:

I agree....8-9 hours after cooking?? No way they'll be hot enough to serve without reheating...

Good timing on this post. I had not thought about newspapers before. Great idea as I soiled one of the wifeys towels last time I tried to keep a butt warm for a few hours. Even after wrapping it in foil in the cooler. I am going to use this idea in the morning. Thanks.

I think the towel thing is some kinda yankee deal. Smart not to listen. The newspaper we get is so full of liberal crap it is worthy to insulate bbq or wrap up dead fish etc. It aint fit to read less a person need some Marxist propaganda. Poor black folks..sniff sniff.

Back
Top Bottom