hey Dats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
I'm thinking about breakin' in the BGE with a mooseloaf today, or tomorrow. Am I gonna need a drip pan to catch the grease? The ground moose had some beef fat put in it when ground. Also, I'll be using regular hamburger, pork sausage and parmesan cheese, so I'm expecting a fair amount of fat to cook out. And I plan on cooking it on a disk of parchment paper so all the grease will go straight down on the coals.

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Griff

Good luck today Griff!
Tell Mr. Beefeater he has to wait till after pics are taken ;)

Griff said:
I'm thinking about breakin' in the BGE with a mooseloaf today, or tomorrow. Am I gonna need a drip pan to catch the grease? The ground moose had some beef fat put in it when ground. Also, I'll be using regular hamburger, pork sausage and parmesan cheese, so I'm expecting a fair amount of fat to cook out. And I plan on cooking it on a disk of parchment paper so all the grease will go straight down on the coals.

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Griff

It really depends on the size of the loaf and what temp you're cooking at. If you are going to cook a 2 - 3# loaf at 240-250, I don't think a pan is needed unless the ground pork is really fatty (like 65% lean). Now if you are going to roast at 350 -375 I think then I would add a foil pan.

I'd stay away from the parchment paper also and place directly on grate (clean, at cooking temp and lubed with spray pam or wiped down with an oily paper towe.

A loaf shouldn't take all day so you should need that much fuel. I recommend lump and use about 2/3 a chimney stack total and you should have a bunch of that left at the end of the cook.

Remember it is easier (faster) to go up in temp that it is to lower the temp. You should be at temp is less than 15 minutes. If you do get a major spike, don't worry, just raise the lid for 30 to 40 secs at a time over 3 - 4 minutes and you can loose 30 degrees fast.

Calibrate the thermometer prior to the first use. Either Primo or the BGE websites have a page where you plug in your altitude and it will tell you what the boiling point of water is where you are. You heat a pot of water to boiling, stick the thermometer probe in an adjust it by turning the hex nut on the thermometer.

Good Egging to you. :D

eggheadku1.jpg

Eggsalent Eggvice

Smokey_Joe said:
wittdog said:
eggheadku1.jpg

Eggsalent Eggvice

oooooooo that's an Eggscruciatingly eggstreme attempt at parboiled humor.

Come on guys, crack out a few Henteresting more just don't put all your puns in one basket.
Are you poached? wtf ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom