Help WSM'ers who use LUMP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
I always do charcoal, but I'm putting 2 butts on tonight for my first
cook with lump in the wsm...what do I need to know..

use the same amount? more?
Minion Method?

My grill experience showed me it takes a long time for lump to cool down.
I'm assuming my temp control may be different.
Thanks.

cleaned up the patio for the weekend and the family next week...
ready to fire it up, but it won't be till later...59 here in Myrtle.

Thanks Jeff.

I remembered to double grate, but I don't think I have enough lump.
Thinking about adding a layer or two of Kingsford on top. I'm hoping to
let it burn enough to get rid of what may be a charcoal flavor I'm detecting in my meat. Or it may be my rub stinks.

Anyway, I hope the kingsford will ignite the lump evenly during the
MM....hoping to get some sleep.

I have been mixing lump and Kingsford together for almost a year now. Seems to give the best of both worlds. No funny smell and much less ash.
It does not run hotter,like Finney says, if treated the same as charcoal.

I just do the MM with about 20 briquets and it runs all night.

Al

Whenever I use lump I fill the charcoal chamber and use Kingsford to start the fire with the MM. Much like Kingsford the lump will burn evenly once it ignites, just spread whatever amount of coals you use evenly over the lump.

If you control your temps on the way up you won't have any problems with lump burning hotter, same principle applies whether using lump or briquettes.
I've never experienced lump burning hotter.

Remember, pics. Good Luck Cappy.

I bought a whole new pack of batteries for the camera for the next week.
I usually clean the back deck about twice a year, so I wanted to get a good picture of it. :grin: :grin: :grin: :)

Like everyone has said-it does not get hotter - but it gets hot quicker. watch your air inlet. you will have to close it down alittle from where you usually run. MM best way to go. way less ash and no funny smells. temp control is biggest thing -- it will rise very quick once it gets going. good luck and lots of pics :!:

thanks, it should be an adventure. I got some lump two or three years ago, but I can't remember anything about it. I just found a local source on lump that isn't "Cowboy Brand", and I'm a little excited about this cook. For those that read my thread on using the lump in the kettle, you'll know why I'm checking this out! :)

ok, butts are rubbed, waiting on fire in the hole time...
these are the butts that I got a great deal on..

and note Simba the Wonder Dog at the top of the pic pouting cause he don't get no snacks till tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom