Help on times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nakedpigbbq

Senior Cook
Ok...need some help on times. I have two pork tenderloins that are about 5 pounds each and 2 brisket flats. I want them done about 7am friday morning, so will put them on thursday night. What times and temps should I be running on these? Can I cook them both together or do they need separate temps? Foil? No Foil? This is a "THANK YOU" for my wife's uncle building me a stainless steel table for my smokers, so I would like them to be goooooooooooooood!

thanks!

chuck

I think you have 2 pork loins, not tender loins. Flats will take bout 8 hours, wrapped after 5 hours @225*. Loin should take bout 4 hours, wrapped after 2. Internal temp of loin should 150*-155*, carry-over will get it to 160. Temp of brisket should 195*-200*.

Brine the Loins! Brine the Loins! Brine the Loins!

Also... I would tend to pull the loins at 145 and wrap in foil tightly and pack in a cooler with towels. they will stay moist and keep in the cooler for an hour or two no problem. (especially when you add the flats on top)

Well most of the loins around here is already brined at the factory so I double check on that aspect. Could live with an overnight marinate in Eyetalian Dressing (Kraft 7 Seas Viva Eyetalian) then a mustard slather and a rub. I like em cooked hot and fast direct at somewhere in the general vicinity of 300 till they hit an internal of 150..should take about 30 mins per side. Give them a glaze of your favorite tomater based sauce mixed with some Texas Peppa Jelly Hab Peach flavor and let it burn in just a little then wrap with foil and throw in the hot box. For brisket flats the general rule of thumb is again a mustard slather and a rub. Give 4 hours in the smoke at 250 (or thereabouts) mop the lean side once an hour with some hot mop/sop..which has been kept in the pit in a small SS sauce pan so it stays hot. Apply the mop with a SS Tablespoon or just sling it on there with a basting brush. Main thang is dont neva physically touch the meat. When the 4 hours is up throw down a handful of rub and half a handful of brown sugar on the foil. Lay the flat on there lean side down and add about a cup of the hot mop. Wrap it up tight and put it back on the pit and lower the heat a bit (220 works fine) till it tenders up like warm butter. Should happen around 200 internal and take about 3 mo hours to reach that point. Then throw them in the hot box too. Heres the mop/sop recipe I use. It come from my old pal Walter Jetton. It makes a bunch so I always at least half it and it still makes a bunch..but it keeps a long time in the ice box. Main key is to find some GOOD beef base. Minor's Brand or Better than Bullion from Kroger works good.

http://bbq.about.com/od/moprecipes/r/bl00513a.htm

bigwheel

I personally myself leave out the oil. it. As my old bohunk buddy say.."The object of cooking brisket is to get the nasty old grease out of it so their sure aint no sense to add any." I also think Walter gets a bit exuberant on the Bay Leaves. I use one large crumbled leaf per batch. I am also too cheap to use up that much Lea n Perrins at one whack so I sub some of that out for black coffee. Thats a lot cheaper. The original recipe is a little too rich on the wooster even if a person could afford it actually.

bigwheel

Yes yes yes. Half a day is good.

bigwheel

nakedpigbbq said:
Does anyone let the flats "rest" after you cook them for several hours like you do with the packers and when at comps?

Back
Top Bottom