Help me identify the wood....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bark looks like oak, but like CR said, we need to see the leaves to know for sure.

Hey, I know what mine is. :D

A friend had a small apple tree blow over in one of our recent late-afternoon thunderstorms, so I salvaged about 10' of trunk. After putting a fresh chain on my saw, I cut it into chunks to season. Boy, is that stuff wet inside!

--John
(About half the wood pile below the second shot is black cherry from a leaner I took down a couple years ago. Been using it in the WSM.)

Looks like chestnut oak,,if it's the same as the white chestnut up here then it should be ok to cook with,,may have used that wood for sausage.

Bbqbrad,could this tree be a Georgia live oak?Them leaves look like they come from a live oak,,,the horror if that's the state tree. :shock:
I don't see any restrictions on using the tree if it is a live oak,dry a piece in the sun,then light and take a whiff.

My $.02 on this one is a "Pin Oak" or as others call it a "Live Oak".
Also very common in the Panhandle area of Florida.

Good wood for heat...will impart a small smoke flavor.... but not nearly
as much as the "Blackjack Oak" that is also native to you.

I disagree Joe. I have a pin oak in my yard and the leaves look nothing like this. Almost looks like a hickory leaf. I used to have a link for ID'ing trees. I'll see if I can find it.

Back
Top Bottom