Help!!! Im new to this!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DisplacedMemphian85

Assistant Cook
I am a displaced Memphian living in Southern West Virginia. I won't even go into the disappointment in the barbecue here so I've decided to do what any ambassadress of the south would do, smoke my own pork. I've recently purchased a 18.5" Master Forge Charcoal Smoker for this project of mine. I'd like to use a pecan or applewood chip and soak it in Jack Daniels unless something else is better. I will be using pork shoulder for my first try and then moving on to ribs and byson heart. What would be best as far as charcoal to chips ratio, turning time, rubs, I want to know everything!!!!!!!! This is a 911 situation, people. Bad barbecue is a sin where I come from and I am determined to get it right. Any comments greatly appreciated!!!!!

Welcome!
You'll need to start your smoker using the "Minion Method". Just google it. A hand full of chips should do. No need to soak youd chips, why waste good whiskey?

You need to cook the shoulder to 200f internal temp at 225 to 300f cooker temp. Make sure your shoulder is at room temp before placing it in the cooker.
Here's a real good recipe:
Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Rub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Welcome DisplacedMemphian85, sounds like Smokemaster has you on a good track. The best way to get it right is to cook a lot, the more cook, the better you BBQ :D Loads of great folks here to help you along.

Smoke Master, the reason for considering whiskey is there's a great place in my hometown that soaks their chips in Jack Daniels for no more than an hour, for flavor purposes. But if it's all the same I could just use aqua! Smoke Master and Pope O'Que, thank you so much for your advice. Also, what would be good chips for a sweet effect?

DisplacedMemphian85 said:
Smoke Master, the reason for considering whiskey is there's a great place in my hometown that soaks their chips in Jack Daniels for no more than an hour, for flavor purposes. But if it's all the same I could just use aqua! Smoke Master and Pope O'Que, thank you so much for your advice. Also, what would be good chips for a sweet effect?

It won't give it any flavor. Just drink the whiskey.

Welcome aboard DisplacedMemphian85. Drink the JD and try using fruit wood like apple or cherry for smoking. More pungent woods like hickory can give your meat a chemically taste if overdone. Try pecan instead. It takes a lot of practice to get consistent results but that's where the fun and the JD comes in.

All is good advice. Welcome to the forum and the biggest thing is that there isnt any bad BBQ just some is alot better than others. I would take sub par Q over cooked on the stove or oven anyday of the week. Just have fun with it and enjoy the time at the smoker.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom