Help! Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
first cook on the 22 today....was gonna do 4 butts but decided
to do 2 and a brisket. I've cooked maybe 3 in my life, none in
the last 5 years, none that were any good.

so here it is, 12 pounds tough meat. what do I do?

fat cap up or down?
how much fat should I trim?
I want to leave the point on during the cook.

Going to open a can of worms on this one Jim. :LOL:
I go KISS, rub a whole packer down and throw it on at 275 300 direct. Fat cap down as I go with no water pan and I think it helps as a heat shield so to speak. I then cut the point off at 195 and foil :shock: the flat. Back on with the point for burnt ends. I do mop the point. to get a good bark. Your millage may vary, Void where prohibited.
My.02

Pigs

Ive only done a hand full of them too Cap but I dont trim any fat off . I rub it down and do the "simple" 225* slow and low. I wrap (so far) at 190*. Ive never put the point back on but im gonna do it on the next one! If you start now it shouild be ready for breakfast tomorrow. :shock: :D

I have no problem with foil. I really want to get some burnt ends
because they look so good in ya'lls pics.
Got some Lotta bull rub....no mustard here? Rub is woos and then
a heavy coat of rub?

Mustard should be fine. Ive used Olive oil before too.....just not a whole lot of it so the rub sticks real good.

btw, these are gonna go on late this afternoon...gotta work tomorrow
morning, will be home at 10, would like to have the pork done
around 11 or 12, brisket whenever.

hmm...so if I put it on at 5 it should be done around
11...that will work. just don't want it to get overdone
for the 3 hours or so that I will be gone. (7 to 10)

Who knows, it's BBQ. No rules, no time table. Yea ya want to be close, but who has been ever been freaking out in the " stall zone " think every one has been there. ;) :x :shock: :LOL:

Pigs

11am or so. ....ya thats the part where you or some one should be there to watch the temps. If your married ask her to watch it and pull it...hhaaa

( you might wanna put it on at 6 or 7 to buy you that time) Hope it helps.

Cappy use salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Cook fat side up in the 245º-260º range until the flat gets to 165º, then separate the point from the flat and season where the point was. Foil the flat and leave the point unfoiled and continue until the brisket is probe tender which I start checking in the 185º range and then every 5º after that. Remove the flat once the probe goes in easily, same thing with the point.

Let the flat rest and cool before slicing. Cube up the point when tender and simmer in your favorite BBQ sauce. Revs, SBRs and Honey (all equal amounts) works great for burnt ends.

Well sounds like a bunch of good advice passed out in response to the request. Some thangs in there I'm gonna have to try. My strategy here of late with the Electrified NB Gourmet is to trim the snot out it mustard slather and rub heavy. Temp range 290-300 (not much control over that aspect:) with a full water pan. Fat side up till it hits 185-190 in the flat. I usually wind up using pee can wood and hickory chunks for smoke..little fruit wood if I happen to spy some laying out in the yard. When it hit 185 wrap it up face down in a handful of rub and half a handful of brown sugar with about a cup of black coffee mixed with a heaping Tablespoon of Minor's Beef Base or Betta than Bullion Base..splash of wooster and a light sprinkle of Siriachi Sauce poured over the top. Continueth to let it chuckle away till it gets in the neighborhood of 200 or so and passes the poke test real easy. Let it rest at least an hour or two or three in the insulated hotbox. Should be able able to do it like that on that pregnant WSM too:roll: Bad news is got a cold N. Wind blowing and I druther have stew than brisket. I am still about half down with the flu bug. Good news is as I drinking too. We should find a lot in common to discuss whilst that cow part cooks itself :shock:

bigwheel

first cook on the 22....pretty much a full bag of charcoal, full
chimney which I'm adding about half (I hope) a chimney.
It's windy and chilly here.

watching the therm....I've read a lot of folks who say it's not accurate.

Back
Top Bottom