Help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christopher1

Senior Cook
Are you cooking side ribs or back ribs? Side ribs tend to take a little longer.

Personally I cook mine at closer to 250°F and have not noticed any adverse effects. I don't foil mine either, but that just personal preference.

When checking your ribs look for the meat sliding up the bones, that's your first indication they're nearing completion.

Some use a bend test. Using tongs, pick a rack up in the middle of the rack. If the meat bends and tears away from the middle bones, you're almost done as well.

You can try pulling on a couple of center bones as well, if the meat tears fairly easily you're good to go.

My timing usually goes something like:

Back ribs 4ish hours.
Side ribs 4-5ish hours.

These are guidelines only, experience is your best bet. ;)

It really comes down to look and feel of the ribs. Wind, outside temps, rain, fuel choice can all mess with your timing.

These guys could have used a little more time in the cooker (an early effort).

These guys got pulled a little late (I was enjoying a few pops and time escaped me).

If you do spare ribs it will take you about 6 hours. I do spare 4 hours in the smoke, 45 minutes in the foil, and the next 1:15 hours back in the smoke to firm them up. Sometimes they take a little longer. I also glaze with Texas Pineapple Pepper Jelly (or some type of BBQ sauce) the last 20 minutes.

Here are a few different cooks. I do love ribs probably more than any other BBQ.

Welcome CJ.
Please...get rid of the dreaded foil. ;)
You won't regret it. 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom