Ham \ Picnic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Will I notice a difference between a fresh ham or a picnic on the smoker? I'm guessing not, just the front leg or the rear leg, but just need to hear from somebody else!

Real similar proposition I think. May want to cut back on the heat just a bit for the ham. Seems like Danny Gaulden recommends about 240 for them who like to watch temp gauges. Bunch of smoke is good I believe. Same problemos on the skin which can be handled in several ways. I like the cook it a few hours then skin it method. Some cuts slashes or checkerboard pattern in it. Some skin it prior to cooking but that is a lot of work.

bigwheel

Nice, plan on cooking the ham to 165º-170º and either slice or chop, depending on how you want to serve. Hams are much leaner than shoulders and do not have the marbling to stay moist if cooked to a pullable state.

The picnic you can basically cook as you would a butt, but they are a little leaner, so check for tenderness a little sooner than you would a butt.

well I was gonna say what they said, but they said it already.

There's a joint here in town that only uses fresh hams because
they are leaner, and they promote it as "healthier bbq".

It's good, but pork fat rules, and I usually eat most of the fat
myself while pulling.

Well I got to vote agin that 165-170 angle. Try rather at least to 180 minimum and preferably 185 terminal temps combined with passing the poke test of course. Also I got kin who live near Missouri so somebody gonna have to show me that a picnic is leaner than a butt. Will testify a batch of sausage made out of picnics is a lot greasier than a load made with butts which makes me jump to the conclusion of that deal being vice versa. :shock:

bigwheel

Larry Wolfe said:
Nice, plan on cooking the ham to 165º-170º and either slice or chop, depending on how you want to serve. Hams are much leaner than shoulders and do not have the marbling to stay moist if cooked to a pullable state.

The picnic you can basically cook as you would a butt, but they are a little leaner, so check for tenderness a little sooner than you would a butt.

I'm no expert, but the few times I've smoked fresh bone-in ham on the smoker I only took to 160 internal temp and they were awesome! Real juicey! :D I don't like dry ham. :x

Here's a pic of one I did last year. After seeing this post, I'll be doing one again real soon! :)

I just love ham!!!

img_204616_0_dad6885fe9afbd5b3e4002e1650cf050.jpg

Well wouldn't bet my life on it of course but think we comparing oranges to apples here. Could nearly assure you the photo is of a pre cooked ham....which bringing that species up to 160 is a great idear and would be commonly called a "twice smoked" ham in this neck of the woods. On the other hand I was under the impression the fella was inquiring into whut would be classified as a raw uncured fresh ham as it was cut directly off a pigs Southern extremity and throwed on the fire. Now aint saying it cant be found written on the pre cooked ham "cook before eating" but it has really already been cured..cooked and smoked previously. It only need to be brought to 160 to satisfy the health goons I suppose. Reheated in other words. Now if the person was actualy wanting to know how to twice smoke a pre cooked ham I take all this back:)

bigwheel

I'd cook a fresh ham at a higher temp, 275ish, and cook it to only 160..it also takes on a rub with extra sage in it

And while you're at it , make some homemade apple sauce to go with it. :)

I think yall have been watching Emeril try to make pushed pork too much. That got to be where that 160 rumor for fresh pig meat got started. Bring the fresh picnics to 180-185 slice and serve like ham. Thats how I do it so it got to be right:)

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom