Ham on a smoker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

92hatchattack

Senior Cook
Hey guys, can you smoke a ham?

Ive always thought about how good a nice smokey ham would taste comming off a smoker, but i never really see anyone posting here about smokin' a whole ham. Why is that? Is this a piece thats better off left in the oven?

Tastes wonderful. Just keep it sorta low and slow (240ish) with lots of smoke. Pull it when it hits 160 in the middle. Course all kinds of glazes and rubs you can do in the tween time. It commonly called twice smoked ham cuz it done already been smoked before you got it. Even though it will say on there to cook before eating..it actually fully cooked already. It just needs a reheat job. If you was cooking a raw ham terminal temps need to be way higher. 160 is just to kill the cooties.

bigwheel

nice! thanks guys! I was just wonderingif it was possible. Ill be back asking details when i finally get a smoker. Im in the process of building myself a uds and i cant wait!

Hmmm neva woulda thunk of that angle. Thanks Damar. Now I have made pushed pork out of raw picnics and it just come across as slightly too hammy. Now mixed 50/50 with butts is a hoss of a different color. Works out well. Them yankees from the Carolinas is real fortunant to get them whole shoulders huh? I could imagine a real picnic ham tasting real hammy:) Now where some are coming up with this "partially cooked" stuff I just aint shore. That would drive the health goons totally nuts. Ain't gonna happen in other words. You either can have it raw or cooked. Which do you prefer?

bigwheel

You really can't go wrong with smoking it or baking it...it's ham! :D Go get a Smithfield's "ready to cook" ham, take it out of the package, throw it on the smoker @ 225*-250* until internal temps hits 148* like the package suggest. Let sit tented for 20 minutes and slice. You can't go wrong. :) Great leftovers too!

img_215644_0_51216284890dbfb2a357e2c6cfb39ca5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom