Got Lava Rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimpeterson

Assistant Cook
Good morning, Guys...I've searched the forums, and can't find info on lava rocks.
I've gotta a gas barbecue, (I know..but when the Wife wants steak, she doesn't want to hear the word "marinate" or "charcoal". She wants to eatnow!) and I'd like to hear from the experts, on just how thick a layer of lava rocks you should have in the barbecue, when it's set up for steak, or chicken. Or...don't use lava?
Thanks,
jim
Nevada/Mexico

I didn't know that still made lava rocks... Those always had a knack for collecting fat and making extra fires. I would go flavorizer bars if you have the option.

If you must use lava, one layer or you impede the heat. If you can replace the lava with ceramic briquettes, they aren't as porous and won't flare up as much.

Lava rocks have gone the way of the T-top Camaro and the Mullet hair cut.

Lava has, but porous material has not. A lot of high end ($3,000+++) grills still use them. It's less in manufacturing costs for those that don't use porous.

The collecting of the drippings in a porous material gives it time to vaporize where as the flavor bars have an almost immediate effect.

I like Weber gas grills as they're quite affordable and do a great job, but a lot of your flavor winds up in your grease pan.

If you must use lava, one layer or you impede the heat. If you can replace the lava with ceramic briquettes, they aren't as porous and won't flare up as much.

I have a 15yr old Kenmore that I still break out when I'm cooking for a big party and need another grill in action. I cooked a lot of great food on that baby.

mar52 has it perfect.

Last edited:
I have a char broil gasser that never coked right. I put a Lowes metal heat spreader over the burner. The unit would not work right. It had tiny hot spots and the other parts were too cool to cook right. I was either burning the meat or baking it slow.

So out of desperation, I got some lava rocks at Wall Mart and carefully placed each and every one on top of the heat spreader. I tried to make one layer that covered the spreader as evenly as possible. The hot spots spread out and now it will brown the meat just right now. There is a nice even hot area in the middle and warmer on the sides.

I sear the meat on high when I start and immediately lower the flame and let the grill slow down while the meat cooks. I sometimes place the meat on the upper "warmer" rack and let it finish cooking to the level I want at a slower level.

If I have to hold the entree, I turn off one side and place the pieces on the upper rack on the side that is turned off. If your gasser flares, keep a spray bottle of water to douse the flames and move the meat over to a cooler area of the grill.

Last edited:
You might also try cleaning out the holes in your burner. If some are blocked, all the pressure will go to the other side. Or, if the burner has burned through you'll get the pressure there but it won't be a hot flame.

Sometimes tiny spiders nest in the oriface on the valves. Need to remove the oriface and clean them out.

Used to charge $125 for that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom