Got a new grill and trying to do some ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klturi421

Assistant Cook
I got this grill for christmas and still learning the ins and outs of it. I am looking to do some ribs on Sunday but wanted a few suggestions as to what and or how I should do some ribs. I am looking to do about 3 racks, possibly going to get some Baby Backs or St Louis Spares.

I'd like to use the grill for all three racks but I am nervous about how they are going to turn out. One suggestion a friend of mine said was to start them off in the oven and then finish on the grill. Or the opposite as well. Since I am new to this and trying to figure out what to do, do you guys have any pointers for me?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 284
Welcome to The Forum klturi421. I'm thinking your new grill can do anything your oven can do. I'm not good enough to know what your grill is but I would think if you could get it to run indirect someplace around 250° - 300° for 3 or 4 hours you should be able to do fine.

Cook a butt or two. Fire on one end..meat on the other. That aint a rib cooking set up. Now if you just gotta do it...cut the ribs into invidual bones in a big stew pot..boil till tender and lete them soak. When somebody wants to eat some ribs throw how many needed onto the hot grill and douse with liquid smoke. BBQ joint up in the Wilbarger County did em like that cept they used a flat grill and no outdoor fire. You could not find a place to park because of all the yankee truck drivers eating ribs. They were purty danged good..lol. The owners wife looked sorta like Nick and she always wear a low cut thing and lean over to give a nice a view when wiping down tables etc. That maybe brought some of them in. Rumor was she got real friendly in the back room with any real big tippers. Not total sure on that one.

New guy here as well. I agree with 3-4 hours @ 250-300. I would lean towards 4 hrs. Also, a mopping sauce will go a long way in to tenderizing the meat and keeping it moist. Most mopping sauces incorporate some type of vinegar which is diluted acetic acid. Acid is great for catalyzing protein breakdown and tenderizing an otherwise tough piece of meat. If vinegar isn't your thing, you can substitute your favorite soft drink such as coke or rootbeer which contains phosphoric acid. From experience, mopping once an hour, or 4 times during a 4 hour cook works well. Looking at your setup, for charcoal arrangement, I would suggest giving the minion method or the snake method a try. Just today I did a 4 hour cook on my weber grill cooking a beer-butt chicken utilizing the snake method. It went flawless and on the top side, I only used half of a medium bag of charcoal to do my cook.

Nice link from LarrysBackyard. :)

Pay no attention to the rib boiler unless you want tasteless ribs and rib broth. :mad:

BUT, he does have a good idea about the fire on one side and the meat on the other.
Since the stack is on the left and the air control is on the right, I'd build the fire on the right side so the heat and light smoke will travel from the fire across the ribs to the stack. The 250 to 350ish sounds good to me.;) How easy is it to control the temperature in there? I'd bet you can get it pretty close if I am seeing the kind of air vent I am thinking it probably is. How well does the lid close and seal? The tighter, the better.

If you can't really control the airflow, grilled ribs can be good, they just take more active work. Much better than <GASP> boiling them.

Have fun and ask any more questions you come up with. Good Luck!

BOB

Not sure if you guys saw the caption on amazing ribs...meat says, "If you boil ribs the terrorists win." THAT's funny! :p:p:p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom