goose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
Our ride to Indiana this weekend was to visit our friends Pat and Cheryl, on the occasion of an outdoor reception for their daughter and her new husband. Pat had a Canada goose he'd shot (and his Lab had retrieved), and a smoker, so one of the finger foods for the party was smoked goose. I asked him how he'd done it, and he said "Smoked it 10 hours." Prep? "A little olive oil, salt and pepper." Smoke wood? "Mostly apple, a little oak and hickory" (from his land). Temperature? "[shrug]" I checked out the smoker, an old Masterbuilt water cooker (a brand I'd never heard of). The pic below is of a slightly more evolved model. The goose was a very dark brown -- the skin left on the breastbone shows the color. It was a good way to use a goose -- tender and tasty, just a slight bit of goose grease. Once the guests discovered it, it didn't last long. :)

737395m.jpg

--John 8)
(The perspective looks weird
speechless-smiley-005.gif
because the platter is oval, not round. )

Edited to a add pic of Masterbuilt cooker.

Sounds good...that smoker reminds me of my first El Chepo Brinkman..I came across a pic of it the other day.

I've smoked a handfull of them sky rats. When I cook them, I brine them first and stuff the cavity with orange and apple quarters.

I cook mine at a higher heat and they are usually done in about 3 to 4 hours. I don't know why, but some parts taste like roast beef. I'm going to inject the next round I cook.

The problem I have is that my back yard is full of them. As much as I am a duck hunter, I see them eating my grass and I think about all the ferilizer and weed control, etc that I put on my grass. I guess they eat the same thing out in wheat fields and they don't get growth hormones.

Is anything safe to eat anymore?

-Chiles

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom