Fried Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kloset BBQR

Executive Chef
Cooked a Fried Turkey tonight. Tried to keep it simple. No marinades or injections. Just rubbed down with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning and deep fried in peanut oil for 33 minutes (11 lb bird). Rested for thirty minutes and served. Tasted great, skin was crisp, and bird was incredibly moist. Will do again soon.

Seasoned and ready to go!

Interested Bystander

Frying away!

Finished product

John,

I read that you can expect to get three to four cooks out of a batch of oil before it starts to break down. I strained it and put it back in the five gallon container that it comes in.

I did 2, 15lb birds on thanksgiving. Fried both of em in less than 2 hours total. Good thing I live in an area where I can go out in the field and dump the 3 gallons of oil.......what did you do with your oil??

I'm going to try and get a couple more cooks out of it. I strained the oil and put it back in the 5 gallon container it came in.

Kloset BBQR said:
I'm going to try and get a couple more cooks out of it. I strained the oil and put it back in the 5 gallon container it came in.

Good idea....I just dumped mine, cleaned up the fryer and put it in the basement....the next plan is a clam bake ;)

Kloset BBQR said:

If when you are done cooking and especially before you store the oil..... slice up 2-3 pounds of potatoes and cook em' in the oil. It helps clean the oil some and remove some of the flavor of whatever you just cooked out of the oil.

I usually slice the potatoes up really thin and make chips... when they are fresh out of oil & still hot and oily I crack a bunch fresh pepper on them....DELICIOUS! You can always do french fries too.... either way, try to run some potatoes through the oil each time after using it.

Smokey_Joe said:
[quote="Kloset BBQR":29zvj1i6]I'm going to try and get a couple more cooks out of it. I strained the oil and put it back in the 5 gallon container it came in.

If when you are done cooking and especially before you store the oil..... slice up 2-3 pounds of potatoes and cook em' in the oil. It helps clean the oil some and remove some of the flavor of whatever you just cooked out of the oil.

I usually slice the potatoes up really thin and make chips... when they are fresh out of oil & still hot and oily I crack a bunch fresh pepper on them....DELICIOUS! You can always do french fries too.... either way, try to run some potatoes through the oil each time after using it.[/quote:29zvj1i6]

Great Tip! :)

SteerCrazy said:
I did 2, 15lb birds on thanksgiving. Fried both of em in less than 2 hours total. Good thing I live in an area where I can go out in the field and dump the 3 gallons of oil.......what did you do with your oil??

If your using peanut oil, it's biodegradeable and you should have no problem dumping it out back.

Nick Prochilo said:
SteerCrazy said:

If your using peanut oil, it's biodegradeable and you should have no problem dumping it out back.

Well until the rest of my subdivision get's built up (which will be who knows when) I can walk off my lawn about 10 feet and dump stuff there, which I have been doin. The coyotes love the bones and other scraps I throw out. Just gotta make sure my dog isin't outside when they are :shock: :LOL: of course, I never really liked that dog ;)

Back
Top Bottom